Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Bang Away!

First of all, I'd like to give a Bang Away! to J.B. for being South Bend Bound and a Bang Away! for turning 18 (in the same weekend) but no Bang Away! for being too selfless to post about either. To those who have yet to be accepted to that special school (myself included), keep banging away on those apps and keep those chins up.

When I just wrote 'that special school', it occured to me how much applying to college is like asking a girl out (OK, no firsthand experience, but I've seen a lot of TV.)

SAT or ACT scores- Superficiality.
Recommendations- What the girl has heard about you. Reputation.
Classes- Are you smart, funny, and interesting or are you Schultz?
Grades- Social skills.
Activities- (Pretty much the same) Will she be able to wear your extra jersey to games (and will people actually know who that is)? Do you save stray kittens?
Essay- How you ask her out.

OK, that was lame, but you get the point. And the college accepts or rejects you based on its desirablity to other guys. The really hot school has lots of great guys asking her out, so she can get really choosy. State schools are whores. Anyway, if we had a quality control filter, this wouldn't pass, but I'm gonna post it because of the dearth (Bang Away! Sophomore vocab...wow I almost wrote Bang Away! Mrs. Harwood and that would've been so wrong) of recent posts.

post script
I think the last several days have confirmed my theory about our blog. We don't post when we have "free time" as Jeff and Cory mistakenly believe. We post when we don't have free time but are procrastinating. And then the rest of us, who are also procrastinating, see those posts and comment on them about how much we also are procrastinating. Its a beautiful thing.

post script
Bang Away! is the new catchphrase for words of encouragement, shouts of excitement, and fond, emphatic farewells. It is usually accompanied by a high five. Use it.

post post post script
I wish Cory was here. Or the yellow lady.

post post post post script
Bang Away Skylar!

9 comments:

Ben said...

That might have been the most pointless post ever. I apologize.

Doug said...

Thanks Ben for posting something. Want to see useless post? Wait until Adrianna or I finially post something out of boredom. That would have been totally stupid. No word yet if Mr. Clarke is willing to let you Fme yet? Me neither. But we could keep Banging away. God, I wish Cory was here.

Dave said...

I like your comparison, very clever...

I might observe that I'm going after all the whore schools... but the girl I went after is not...

Nancy said...

man, i really hope "Bang Away!" doesn't get old. For some reason, your comparison reminded me of my comparison of prom to a 'secret society of boys.' basically, each guy inherently possesses an invitation that he can give to only one girl, then that girl is allowed to go to this secret dance...yea, i don't know why it reminded me of that. prom dresses, good stuff.

Rachel said...

First of all, screw you ben...IT WAS THE FIRST NAME I THOUGHT OF!!!! And Douglas, Mr. Clarke needs to get his act together soon...i'll see him christmas eve so if no news by then, i'll berate him

John and Karolyn said...

Haha, I'd assumed neither would be interesting enough to warrent a post. However, since you brought it up...

Yes, I'm now 18 and can legally purchase rifles and sharp objects.

And yeah, I got into my "first choice" college, ND. Odds are that's where I'll be headed next fall, but we'll see...can't state anything with certainty until after my college trips "next" year.

-JB

Nancy said...

Congratulations John!!

Scott said...

Yelllooowwww ladyyyy...

Ahem...

On that note about colleges, I hope the women I date look a lot better than some of the colleges I'm applying to. Y'know...on a relative scale...like achitecture vs...argh, whatever.

Doug said...

Bang Away Rector Ben
same to Ian who is Vigil Team Rector, and Mike Rhoades who is also on Vigil Team.

I think that John and I will just cook.