Thursday, December 09, 2004

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Hey all,

Will people read this? Time will tell. Or not.

Anyway.

Y'know what I've been doing this week? Even when I'm doing my homework, chatting online, or staying home sick? Waiting on the edge of my seat for the "Batman Begins" trailer. Half the reason I absolutely MUST see "Ocean's 12" tomorrow night is because the trailer is attached the that film, and I gotta see that baby in theaters.

At any rate...

It's not online yet, but the first trailer for "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" is. Which, besides "Batman" and "Sin City" (which will kick more ass than you can count), is the film I am looking forward to most next year. See...when I was but a wee lad, forming what would become my geekish self, I LIVED off Roald Dahl books. That was my LIFE. Sad? Yes. But those books really expanded my imagination.

And my favorite of those? Matilda. But that movie blew. My second favorite? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which was made into a fine, but ultimately kiddy, film. But then, more recently, it was announced that Tim Burton would be creating a NEW adaptation of the classic novel. With a screenplay by John August (who did a remarkable job on "Big Fish," which was also directed by Burton). And with Johnny Depp as Wonka himself.

GOLD.

See, to try to recreate Roald Dahl, it takes a couple of things. First, it takes a boundless imagination. I mean, you can't let ANYTHING hold you back. Film, unfortunately, can do this, but you gotta keep it so wacky and weird that people think they can believe anything. Second, though, it takes a certain amount of darkness. Ultimately, in the novel, five children go in, and four of them die. Yes...four children DIE. And you have to be able to create a world where a guy who runs a chocolate factory is willing to get five random kids in there, only to kill off four of them and give the factory to whoever's left. What kinda psycho would do that?

Watch the trailer. You'll see.

http://www.davestrailerpage.co.uk

Oh, and for those who saw "Finding Neverland," the same kid who played Peter will play Charlie Bucket. That's just cool.

11 comments:

Nancy said...

I hated Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when I was a kid because the oompa loompas scared the crap out of me. Actually come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen Charlie and the Choclate Factory complete from start to finish. Oompa Loompas still scare me, I mean seriously, why would you want a bunch of short orange-faced, green men as helpers? Personally, I'd rather have an avid following of hot men to feed me candy.

Adrianna said...

I never had a problem with the Ooompa Loompas, but I was really scared of winding up like the girl who turned into the blueberry or whatever because she chewed the gum... yeah. At least I'm not alone in my fear of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! Nancy, we must get over our fear together!

Oh, and I still don't like the flying monkies in "The Wizard of Oz." Metaphor for the silver standard or not, that's a freaky story.

Doug said...

If you think that a movie with Gene Wilder as a benevolent old man and dopey songs are scary, wait till you see this! Tim Burton directing, and Johnny Depp as a nut. And these oompa loompas aren't midgets, and don't have weird green hair. And they show willy wonka rescuing the oompa loompas from their home. I can't wait. I watch the trailer like 10 times, going frame by frame. I did that for star wars too, I am such a geek.

Ben said...

I myself was terrified of the psychedelic tunnel that they all go down on that boat. The first time I saw it, Tim and I were with a babysitter (I being 5, my brother 3) and apparently we totally freaked out and she had to pull out the video. I wonder how many kids were psychologically scarred by that movie?
Spencer seems to be in love with it, and that explains a lot.

My favorite part is the Imagination song. I will go to the theater with an open mind, but if they screw that up, I will hate the movie no mattter what else it has going for it.

Doug said...

Uhhh, dude...
I'm guessing that you haven't read the book...
I'm pretty sure there is no "Imagination" song...
In fact, I think that the only songs in the whole book are the oompa-loompa songs, which are vastly different than the movie version. There are a lot of differences between the book and the orginal movie, and I hope that Tim Burton will follow the storyline a little better than the last guy did. I am seriously avoiding homework, I've got a tonne. (It's so bad that I am forced to use British spelling)

Katie said...

I was really afraid of when they go through all that soapy foamy stuff, and there's like this panic, and then they come out all clean and dry afterward...I haven't seen the movie in a while, so I can't really describe it in depth, but jeezus that movie freaked me out...and when that girl stood where the golden eggs go, and went through the chute...I just about flipped. And Wizard of Oz scared the crap outta me too. Aaah.

Scott said...

Yes! Posting from history class!

At any rate, I should point out (as some have indicated) that this is a BRAND NEW adaptation of the NOVEL. In fact, John August (screenwriter) never even saw the Gene Wilder film until he completed his own final draft.

So yeah...those expecting songs...don't. They weren't in the novel (save for the Oompa Loompa song). Those expecting creepiness...oh, are you in for it. Read the book sometime, you'll see.

Doug said...

Hey Scott
That is good news, I would have thought for sure that the screen writer would have at least seen the gene wilder version. No golden geese then. SQUIRRELLS!!!!!

Nancy said...

haha, history is boring and I only got 3 hours of sleep. The adrenaline rush is completely gone..

Miguel said...

It'll be really cool/unnerving to see a new adaptation with a more creepy twist on Willy Wanka. I mean, when Johnny Depp first appears in the trailer and does his spastic grin and little one-second jig I got kinda scared. I always pictured him as the candy-making genius who was a lot more congenial.

But then I got to thinking...he DID, after all, spend a few years out of contact with any sentient beings aside from the Oompa Loompas (which explain why he made that Dr. Seuss-ish rhyme about chewing gum)...so I can't expect anything but strangeness and creepiness from this movie. But upon reflection, definitely gonna be one of the films I see this coming year.

Miguel said...

damn, I spelled Wonka's name wrong. That's embarrassing.