Thursday, December 09, 2004

I fear I am opening a can of worms...

At Mass on Wednesday, I sat next to Ben. Overcome with what must have been the Holy Spirit (“Speak the truth!”), I randomly blurted out this confession to Ben: “I like your blog better than the pink one.”

So today, Ben commissioned me to write an essay on why Outsiders is better than Hibiscus. I was somewhat hesitant at first, however, there comes a time in every woman’s life when she cannot sit on the fence much longer because it is too pokey on tip and so must take sides.

Outsiders has a more appealing layout. I’m sorry, but I just cannot take so much pink. If I, in the privacy of my own home, and somewhat turned off by the overwhelming femininity of the blog, then imagine a guy’s reaction…I doubt that they would enjoy being seen reading such a, well, pink blog, and this definitely reduces readership potential. Outsiders appeals to both girls and guys, with a sleek, bold layout that is not specifically masculine or feminine.

Outsiders is a better source for information. Hibiscus is interesting, but just so random. It lacks direction, which is not as important if it is a blog for one person, but when it is a community blog for the benefit of a group of people, I am not as inclined to read a blog that does not seem to have any point. From Outsiders, I can find opinions on current events, movie and dance reviews, discussions about college, athletics, and high school. I will concede, here, that there are also some very, very random posts, but not the majority.

Perhaps there can be a compromise here, as I do not want this to be seen as a betrayal of my gender. If anyone hasn’t noticed yet, gender wars are never a good plan…guys, a woman brought you into this world and a woman can take you out…girls, well, we need them too. Pink Hibiscus is a much better source for pictures, and so should stay. If the girls feel they need somewhere to post, Ben has been willing in the past to make a name for girls, or you can use Random Amigos. Pink Hibiscus is just getting going as a community blog, and deserves a chance to decide its direction and work out the kinks before we get into a blog war. Perhaps the two blogs can function in harmony…equal, but different.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Yeah, pink is for fags.