Sunday, December 26, 2004

New Years Resolutions

I am considering a pretty audacious New Years resolution this year. But just one. My hope is that it will affect a lot of other areas. I think I have figured out why different resolutions have failed in the past and how I can succeed this year. Its gonna take a lot of preparation and dedication but I think I can do it. Why am I writing if I'm not going to tell you what it is? Because of something I learned in AA. It's way easier to stay strong on something if you are surrounded by a bunch of other people doing the same thing and who want you to make it. So if there's anyone out there who understood anything they just read, commit to that resolution right now and say so in comments. If anybody else proves up for this, John can put it in memorable topics and we can use it to check progress and offer encouragement. You know you want a badass New Years Resolution, so Bang Away!

post script
OK, I wasn't in AA. But you got the point.

post post script
Is New Years anyone else's favorite holiday? I mean New Years Eve. A night for reflection on the past year and full of the promise of the next. And it gets me Chinese food, how could it be better? Oh yeah, a kiss at midnight. Someday. Maybe next year.

post post post script
Next Year by the Foo Fighters is a good song. Trust me.

13 comments:

John and Karolyn said...

Wellll...it makes sense....

I'm just loathe to commit to a Resolution before knowing what I'm committing to. I have a hard enough time keeping resolutions I come up with myself, much less the awesome and badass one you have mentioned...

I will tentatively commit, while leaving myself the option of saying "Hell no!" when I learn what it is I am committing to.

-JB

Dave said...

I would ben, but I've got a girlfriend, so it wouldn't be that hard for me to give up the activity you are likely hinting at...

Ben said...

Sorry, I was unclear. Everyone picks their own unique resolution. And I wasn't hinting at the one Dave thinks, but that shows you where his mind is ;-). All you have to do is say that you have a resolution and that you're gonna stick to it. It's not like the AA where we're all alcoholics, we all got something different to do, we're just supporting each other. Just a suggestion, but thanks for the vote of confidence John, I appreciate it. For example, Dave could give up lighters. Having a girlfriend shouldn't affect that one, unless I'm missing something.

Katie said...

Hey Dave, guess who now has her own lighter?

Don't worry, I can blow it out whenever I get too freaked out, so it's perfectly safe...

Misha said...

Give up LIGHTERS?!
Oh no no no.
You see Ben, that would be a problem.
Katie, guess who got a really awesome lighter for Christmas...me. Don't tell the rents tho. It rocks. And also, I am proud of you, my budding pyro.

Ben said...

As my resolution post seemed to have failed (I sort of knew it would, I bat a low percentage when I'm writing late at night trying to keep continuity) I whole-heartedly support the transition to a discussion of lighters. When I was volunteering at PAL with Puett for Christian Service, one of those kids who try to act tough to protect themselves told me to look in his pocket. There he struck up a lighter. The kid was maybe 12. Dumbshit me just smiled at him. I hope that kid is gonna be ok. I didn't do him any favors. On the plus side, his lighter was way cooler than that pussy one Dave has.

Katie said...

Yeah, mine's pretty exciting...it has three settings...if I bring it in the car and go "hey Ellie look" while she's driving, she flips out, which is pretty much fun.

Yeah, Misha, I wouldn't mention mine to the 'rents either...they would be, erm, less than thrilled...yay for pointless rebellion!!

Rhoads said...

Ben, were you ever involved in The Bet a few years back?

Ben said...

No. Rhoads, I wasn't yet good enough friends with any of the guys who were in it to be asked to participate. (Wasn't it basically that lunch table?) Schneider gave me all the details though. I would've killed you guys. But yeah, we can do that for Lent this year if anybody wants to. [For further clarity, that wasn't the resolution I was making, nor suggesting to anyone else.]

post script
We would need to exclude Miguel, because the man is a fucking beast. I think he's still on Ramadan.

Ken said...

Hey, I trust Ben's judgement. (Memorable Ben quote: [mesmerized by running cow, during Pilgrimage] "Wow, that's like... cow Baywatch!")

So I'll do it, for solidarity if nothing else, but you're gonna have to tell me what it is... Bang Away.

Qualifier: no animals, paint, drugs, or public nudity. But we've already had that conversation.

Ben said...

Wow, I just reread that post and it does sound like I want everyone to have the same resolution. That's not what I meant, I'm just a crappy writer. Oh well.

Ken said...

Ben, my resolution is to ask myself more often, "What Would Ben Do?" (I figure if it's a difficult moral decision I can get off the hook by deciding to do what Ben Stein or Ben Affleck would do... Kocarnik if I'm feeling really naughty.) Point being that I still want to follow your resolution.

Ben said...

I was gonna try and get up every morning and go running before school so as to be more of an asset to our soccer team, so by all means, follow.