Tuesday, December 28, 2004

So I was at the beach for a couple days,

and I ended up wondering three things: what angle into the ocean would you have to look if you wanted to be staring directly at Honolulu (given the curvature of the Earth, and you're standing at Ecola State Park), how many times in an average lifetime does the line from your heart to the center of the Earth hit someone else on the other side, and in The Thomas Crown Affair, how does he fold the painting into his briefcase without cracking what looks like a solid wooden frame?

If you can help me with any of those, uh, great. In fact, Bang Away!

If you can't, then you're down-to-earth enough to come to my house on New Year's Eve for a party. Yes, you. Anyone who reads this blog is invited, and so is anyone who doesn't read the blog who you like. Please, feel free to say "Hey, did you see Ken's blog post about his New Years' Party", and then point out that they're invited even though I didn't actually get to talk to the celebrant in question.

So, details: party will start between six and seven, allowing for movie/s and other undecided entertainment. (The strippers will be in the garage--they've already been practicing their dance with the power tools. Ladies, the Crown Prince of England is scheduled to arrive somewhere around eight.) We will feed you. As for the actual moment of glory when we finally, finally arrive in our graduation year: you decide. Last year, at Patrick's, we had little "edible bubble" bottles, where you could eat the bubbles... or chug the bottleful of gross banana-resembling soapy crud.

Someone did.

We will not have those.

As to whether or not it will be a sleepover, the jury's still out. Parental feedback sounds like it's a go, but we might have to pull an after-prom and send the guys or girls to someone else's house for the night.

[[UPDATE: Dave sacrificed his warm family New Year's at the beach so that the guys can again sleep at his house. So it's girls here, guys there. He also offered to turn it into Brinker's B&B again and feed us in the morning--it's gotten good reviews before, so unless there are objections...]]

Yeah, I realize that the details aren't very detailed yet. I'm working on it. But if you have tentative approval (or denial) for all or part of the evening, tell me somehow... text, call, im, e-mail, post a reply, send me flowers or cookies or narcotics, I don't really care. In fact, if you just show up and I didn't know you were coming, I can handle that too. But this is a party you can be proud of attending, so posting a comment would make you look really cool. I'd know.

postscript: for Christmas, I got a huge chunk of bituminous and a personal letter from Santa, who's mad that Shakeer bore the brunt of my bad driving karma. Sorry, man. Drown your sorrows in Martinelli's with us on Friday.

post-postscript: if I have met you, you're invited.

17 comments:

Ben said...

Sounds like fun, too bad I'm committed to the annual night at home playing bored games and setting off lame fountain fireworks with my family. But feel free to swing by my house at around 12:15 and kidnap me.

post script
On second thought, don't. Just convince your parents that they need to buy a large inflatable raft to use as a cooler for drinks. (That we can us on our post-finals excursion.) Tell them that's how they do it at Stanford because its great for ice storage or something. They have a good one on Amazon called a Spartan. Big, reduced to like $50. I will pay you back for rush shipping if that's what you hafta do.

Cynda said...

hey does this mean I'm cool now....eh probably not!! sounds like a blast count me in!!

Adrianna said...

Sounds like a plan.

That is, if, as usual, I can get a ride. Hmm. And as usual, I'll buck up for gas money if someone takes me. Send me over an im... or I'll come looking for you!

Oh, and Ken, I'd send you narcotics but all mine are taken mmmkay ;)

Scott said...

Love to come, but it's the usual family night on the town (movie and some sort of delicious dinner). Thanks though.

Rachel said...

Wonderful idea...seeing as Pat is in Alaska, crashing the Cope / Spear party might not be as appreciated (though I do love seeing those drunk parents, it's usually the highlight of my New Year). Make Katie come...and get some pomegranate juice and ginger ale and I'm there

Dave said...

pomegranate juice and ginger ale -- HELL YEAH

I'll bring the juice... unless I'm arrested for suspected substance abuse... anyone who buys that shit in bulk probably should be...

Ken said...

jeez, Rachel, you have no idea how tempting that joke was. That's the price of maturity, I guess. Anyway, the pomegranate juice and ginger ale are staples at any party now, and I'll try to make Katie attend. If she doesn't want to, we'll steal her copy of Love Actually instead. We can still crash the Copes' if you want, but I don't think it will be as much fun minus the snow.

back to college apps... (UVa: "a) What is your favorite word, and why?")

Ben said...

Supercilious

Ben said...

Turgid

Adrianna said...

You could just make up a word.

"I like the word Jaifjqivfqwjeivjwirh because it's a synonym for 'bucket.'"

Shit, Shakespeare did it.

Cynda said...

TURGID!?!? Ben, I'm shocked, just shocked!!

Scott said...

Scrumtralescent.

Dave said...

cockbite

Ben said...

Fucksore

Ken said...

Mmkay, you guys are definitely not going to Virginia.

(because the question clearly asks *why* it's your favorite word!)

Cynda said...

Oh. My. God. STOP! stop right now! You boys are filthy, but no doubt this will inspire those girls who like everything to be equal to come up with even worse words!!! Wasn't this originally about a party not who can come up with creative dirty words?!? Geez...boys...

Dave said...

i sold icecream out of a truck in virginia once, until i got kicked out for not having a food handling licence... the dude i was working with had a virginia is for lovers pen... except he modified it to say vaginia is for lovers... he ended up loosing it... true story!