Sunday, December 05, 2004

Why I Want To Go To College

Now that we are all most definately seniors, it seems to me that the only thing of importance to any adult I meet is my answer to the consistant question: "So, where are you going to school next year?" (this is sometimes replaced by "So, what are your plans for next year?" as if i might decide to backpack through the Himalayas or become a scuba diver instead of fulfilling my parents dreams and getting that nice college sticker to put on the back of the car.)

But at the moment I'm not even worried about where I'll be next year, but more concerned with all the cool shit we get to do! I have begun a list:

1. No curfew
2. NO DRESS CODE (I tried to explain my excitement about having no dress code in college in a comment on Magda's blog, but it turned into the proclamation: I like boys! ...so i'll try again: no dress code means we can show the whole world our collective collar bones and they can't stop us, and wear flip flops, and tank tops, and lots of wonderful things...I might just spend an entire year dressing like a slut just to get it out of my system.)
3. Eating whatever we want
4. Sleeping
5. Not being confined to our single Jesuit image (football player, swimmer, boy scout...)
6. Dorm Rooms (For whatever reason, I think dorm rooms are the greatest things ever. It's like going to Girl Scout Camp all the time...except i cried when i went to Girl Scout Camp because I was so homesick...but dorm rooms ROCK!)
7. I like taking care of myself without my parents
8. It's Not Here (I suppose that would be one of the main reasons...)

By saying "it's not here" I don't mean I can't wait to leave and meet new people and create this completley new life at college, in fact I'm terrified of leaving all you guys and all those people who I talk to at school everyday, but probably won't really keep in contact with after we graduate. That, to me, is very scary...and exciting.

9 comments:

Cynda said...

hmmm...I'm guessing misha posted that cause I really don't envision rachel or I proclaiming our wish to dress like sluts...oh and I suppose I know it's not by me cause I don't remeber writing it....

Adrianna said...

I dunno... that one time in Nebraska she was hell-bent on dressing like a slut (of course that was after someone mistook her for a guy)...

Um anyway. Yes, college will rock. Yes, I want to get the hell away from this place. Yes I love you all. Yes I want to be able to show off my sexy, sexy (okay not really) collarbone. Oh yeah, and learning with a PURPOSE. Or at least that's what they all want to lead us to believe.

Nancy said...

92 more hours.......

Rachel said...

I most definately posted that! And Adrianna is comepletly right, I ENJOYED dressing like a slut that one day to re-gain my femininity (i'm not sure if thats a word, but it sounds like one).


On that note, why do i keep getting all guy groups in religion class?? Not that i mind it, but it's gonna be weird writing a paper about pre-marital sex with them...

John and Karolyn said...

Funny...mishka and I are doing premarital sex too...no, not "doing it" dave...we're in a group giving a presentation on it. There's irony in there somewhere, I'm sure...

Yeah, john is tired.

Misha said...

Wow Cynda...thanks for thinking me a slut! You're cool

Katie said...

Just so you know...I knew it was Rachel.

I have proof.

Because she mentioned swimmers, and that's me ("No! Really??"), and because she sounds like someone who would like dorm rooms, and I understand because I have been looking forward to living in a dorm room ever since I went to the Stanford Swim Camp two summers in a row and stayed in dorm rooms and was happy.

Anyway, I totally agree.

Onward and upward to higher education!!

If only this damn waiting would end...this is worse than applying...I am seriously going to be on fricking pins and needles for a while.

To add to list:

Taking classes you actually want to take and that actually have some relevance to real life. I know, that's just an old wive's tale, they don't really exist...but somehow, I can't help but believe they're out there.

Better extra-curriculars. Writing for Underwater Basket Weaving Weekly, here I come!

Meeting more people than just upper middle-class, white, Catholic over-achievers (love 'em, but you need others in the mix too).

Getting to come home from college and go to Jesuit masses and be like "Ha ha Suckers!"...I SO look forward to that.

Ben said...

I'm a middle middle-class, white, Catholic over-acheiver, so you've got some variety. And I'm pretty sure Puett is lower-middle class, white (No wait, he's 1/8 Mexican), Catholic over-acheiver.

And personally, I'm not looking forward to college nearly as much as I'm looking forward to this summer and making it the best summer of my life.
Right now I don't even want to think about going to college. But I am happy for you excited people.

Cynda said...

Wow was I wrong....hmmm way to put me in my place though....from now on no more making assumptions I just can't figure you ppl out between doug and Adrianna and Misha and Rachel oh and when it was alex, corey and Jeff I could never figure ti out, although I'm proud to say I can tell the difference between Karolyn and John...boy wouldn't it be sad if I couldn't....