Saturday, January 29, 2005

Saturday Afternoon

Is everybody part-gay? At least psychologically? I was browsing Shakeer’s blog and he posed this question, specifically in response to something said in a Christian Relationships class. To re-cap (and this is all Shakeer’s stuff):

Ideally men and women could have relationships based solely on the emotional status of the couple. Sexual attraction would not even exist because each person would be attracted to the other’s personality and could then easily exchange trust and love with out superficiality coming into play. The next part I can’t rephrase, so here’s what Shakeer said: “…it's widely agreed that when it comes to personality, interests, and composure, males and females are capable of achieving the same things.” Therefore men and women should be able to relate on the same level concerning just about anything (whether or not this actually occurs is up for debate, but it should be possible).

Finally, if all this is true, it shouldn’t matter what gender you are if you’re capable of having a relationship without physical attraction (which we all ideally would be) what is stopping anyone from having that same type of relationship with someone of the same sex? The kicker for me is that this is just what the Catholic church supports. No, not gay marriage or homosexual relationships, we all know they’re not too keen on them, but having a relationship so deeply rooted in trust and faith that you can’t help but be in love. I suppose it’s just another conundrum of Catholicism: get a relationship that is not superficially based, but God forbid it is with someone of the same sex, because there’s no way they could ever form a trusting, faith-filled, loving relationship (can’t think of any other synonyms for “relationship”, neither can my thesaurus).

I don’t mean to consistantly bash my own religion, but then again there are some things I just cannot understand why the Church has taken such a stance when there are so many factors beyond what the Old Testament stated. And before you start commenting on what exactly the Church says about gay-marriage and the like, I know, I’ve been doing this Catholic thing for 18 years, I know their position but I just can’t agree. I remember last year when Archbishop Vlazney came out woth the letter to the Oregonian about parishoners who opposed certain Catholic doctrines and how these people should refrain from receiving communion. I meant to write a response to the Archbishop, and I never did, but I should have because his letter just seemed so out of line to me. I don’t recive communion every Friday and usually Sunday because I want to make a public statement that I believe in outlawing abortion or never using birth control. I do because I believe in something more important than that, that I have hope for the furture because of my faith, and I do not like it when someone tells me that the “real” reason I take the Eucharist is that I want to end stem-cell research, I don’t.
Have a good afternoon.

13 comments:

Adrianna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Adrianna said...

Just realized I never actually addressed the issue presented in the original post. Ooops!

It's an interesting question to pose, the part gay psychology thing. And it raises the old "all girls are bi" debate to a new level. I share stuff with girls that I'd never feel comfortable sharing with guys and vice versa. Therefore, my relationships with some individual guys and girls are closer than others. It's a matter of trust, to steal J-high's drama theme from last year. Perhaps the same can be said of love.

Two people who are in love should never be made to feel ashamed about being in love, regardless of their gender or race or whatever else have you. Why is it that two people who trust one another, who love one another, are frowned upon by society just because they have identical chromosome pairs? Love is not something that you can control. It is not somethiny you can force yourself in to or out of. It's something that is based on the building of a relationship. Perhaps that relationship is initially based on the superficial, but what seperates love from lust is what lies beyond superficiality. I think Orlando Bloom is dead sexy, but do I love him? Noooo... I don't know the guy. Knowing and seeing are two different things. Love is not just romantic love, it is also friendly love, loyal love, encounter love, what have you.

We call ourselves sophisticated and modern, but in reality we're stuck with what some bunch of old guys in Italy a couple thousand years ago stated as right and wrong. We've got to break this cycle, because it's destroying people around us, regardless of whether we know it or not.

Ben said...

It took me awhile, but I remembered which class Shakeer was speaking of. Scott Harwood was presenting on homosexuality. During the course of the discussion Addie Webster said, in her funny, excited voice "They're not aliens!" To which Scott agreed and deadpanned "It's true, they're not." It was funny.

On topic. Are we all part-gay? Yes. Next question. Are all gay people part-straight?

post script
Oh yeah, on the gay marriage thing: that was just a setback. Almost certainly the young people (i.e. us) will outlive the old people (i.e. the majority of the voters) and that will be that (if the polls are anywhere near accurate). Progress is slow. Sometimes we gotta be pushed a step back to realize we need to take two steps forward. But we are the future and I feel safe in our hands.

post script for the last post script that doesn't deserve real post script status
The only way I envision gay marriage not being nationally accepted in 30 years would be if they started a big war and got all us liberal kids drafted and killed.

post post script
I am going to flood this post with quotations. Don't ask me why. I don't know. Wait, I do know. There was a perfect Teddy Roosevelt quote for this topic but it eludes me, so I am compensating with a plethora of ideas that aren't perfect but should be read and pondered nonetheless.

Thomas Jefferson said...

Laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind.

Thomas Jefferson said...

We might as well require a man to wear the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain forever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors.

Leo Tolstoy said...

Man must not check reason by tradition, but contrariwise, must check tradition by reason.

Isaac Asimov said...

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.

Robert F. Kennedy said...

It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current that can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance.

Jesus said...

I don't remember saying anything about gays. I did do a lot of reaching out to people others thought were less equal. Oh, and I condemned the Pharisees who used my Father's name for their own gain and followed the letter of the law but missed the spirit. They then they killed me and tried to go back to manipulating the people and their adherence to tradition. It didn't work then, but they've changed tactics and are still trying. Don't let them and their perverted religion be my sole voice in this world.

post script
Pat, cut it out with the Jews in the oven joke.

post post script
Wait, I changed my mind. I was on "The Ministry of the Johnston Family" homepage and apparantly:

HOMOSEXUALS will bear the fierce vengeance of their HOLY CREATOR on the Day of Woe and Doom

I must have missed that Trinity meeting. Sorry guys. I guess I should have passed that along while I was on earth. But it's okay, this blog is like the Fifth Gospel, right? Y'all will make sure the rest of humanity gets the memo?

post post post script
I (Ben) apologize to all the people (and higher powers) that this comment offended.

Pat said...

It's a funny joke. Plus, I'm not part gay.

Doug said...

THAT'S NOT WHAT YOU SAID LAST NIGHT!

Misha said...

As I recall Pat, you told Doug that you would pay him for his services...I'm just saying...

Shinekaze said...

Ben I have to agree with you. It does sometimes take a push in the wrong direction for us to realize that we need to take 2 steps in the right one. I think that all of these people who use their religion to justify keeping gays from marrying are like you said Pharisee-like... follow the law to the letter but miss the point. My thought is that homophobia is just like any other form of discrimination, based on hate and fear. Hopefully over the years, people will come to realize that there is nothing wrong with gays, no reason to fear them, and that they have nothing to do with the degradation of the sanctity of marriage. I mean, gays arent able to marry at the moment, and we still have 50% of all marriages failing, what does that say about how special marriage is? From my experience homosexuals are more committed to one another than most straight folks. I know many homosexual couples who have been partners for years, who share everything, some even change thier names to match as if they were married, they get along better than many straight couples. They are free to leave each other at any point, they have no legal bonds to one another, yet they function as a family. I think that is far from desecrating marriage.