Thursday, November 03, 2005

I Figure It's Blogworthy

Hey guys, I'm alive...

Anyway, as freaking-huge-term-paper season looms over me, I find myself more and more able to procrastinate. Hence, this blogging. I should be working on an oral presentation in Spanish right now, in addition to actually trying to get my Psych group to do some work on our project due Tuesday. I should also be determining what kind of syllogisms Socrates uses in "Crito," and putting his arguments into centristic and Aristotelian logic form...but suffice to say, I'm not.

Instead, I'm letting you know that I got knighted into the brotherhood of Esto Vir, a group on CUA's campus. Basically, it consisted (still does, but this is a history paragraph now) of guys who were tired of the stereotypical man being the crass, loud, binge-drinking, sex-obsessed, tactless, faithless, superficial jock who lives at the end of the hall. So...well, rather than trying to make every male change from that stereotype, their goal was to gather like-minded guys together so as to validate their beliefs, to show them that they didn't have to capitulate. And, should their example of true manhood inspire people to shape up, that's awesome. The group started out four years ago...it was a small group, but it's survived. They chose the patron saint to be St. Josemaria Escriva, founder of Opus Dei (he was the newest saint at the time).

So yeah, we went through this five-week formation period, where we talked about the five lifestyles we focused on: Prayer, brotherhood, self-sacrifice, chastity, and fortitude. Then we went to the beach at the end of week 5 for a retreat, and that was sweet. Then began the week of fire, which is like initiation, but everybody does it. Basically, we go to Mass daily, and starting on Monday (it's technically correct) morning, we wake up at 1 AM to say a decade of the rosary. Then at 2 AM Tuesday, we do the same thing. Then 3AM Wednesday, 4 Thursday, and 5 Friday. And Friday we fast for 12 hours. Then we either do service or pray a whole heck of a lot on Saturday. Sunday's initiation, where old knights renew their vows, and Aspirants are knighted in. There's a sword and everything. It was pretty cool.

Anyway, that's the story. I'm off to get some sleep, because...well, it's that time of day when I realized I should get more sleep.

Have a good one, guys

8 comments:

Pat said...

You're getting knighted? Now I'm gonna call you Sir Colonel.

Scott said...

I do enjoy that part of the new definition of the stereotypical man includes living at the end of the hall.

That said, congrats man. Sounds like a cool group, and you're a better man than I for waking up before 5 on a Friday morning.

Katie said...

That's hard core.
I haven't been to Mass since...ummm...the last time I went to Mass. Which is a while. Yeah. Sunday mornings, it's tough to wake up on your one morning off, not gonna lie. Congratulations, that's awesome.

Nobody and Nothing! said...

hmmm...I am only mildly concerned. It sounds like some sort of fanatic cult or something like that, Although they sound like it is for a good cause most cults believe that they are working for a good cause. Now I have no right to denounce your organization, for I do not have all the information that you do, I am just expressing my concern as a friend and wish you to approach this carefully. Anyhow, I hope you enjoy this and grow from it, And I wish you the best of luck Sir Miguel.

Ken said...

Alex, seriously man, see how when I write it says "Ken said..."? You could actually just use your given name there. Just a thought.

Mike, there's a quote in Pirates of the Caribbean that I REALLY wish I could use in this instance but can't. Bet you can guess it. ;)

Cynda said...

Now I really want to go watch Pirates of the caribbean; I won't be able to figure out what you are talking about but it's a good excuse to watch it!!

On a completely unrelated topic, they are playing Christmas music already here in Portland. I can feel your jealousy!!!

Nancy said...

Christmas music?? I walked by a store that had multiple Christmas trees and reindeer and I got really mad because I happen to like Thanksgiving and Christmas is still a good month and a half away.

Ken said...

We don't have Christmas at Cornell.