Sunday, November 27, 2005

Varsity House Sunday Night Fights

I had my first boxing match tonight.

Somebody provided the boxing gloves and mouth guards, and we did it in the Varsity House living room, with three one-minute rounds. I had no idea how entertaining boxing was. The two other Chippendale's dancers matched up against each other first. They were mainly jabbing each other. I figured, hey, I could do that. But then the guys in the next match up were throwing haymakers like crazy.

I was up next. I wasn't too worried cause my opponent was 5'9", 125 lbs (I'm 130 lbs), and he doesn't do sports, other than fencing. Tonight I got a new appreciation for having such a violent brother back in grade school (he's not violent anymore) cause those early years taught me how to throw a good punch. I knocked him down once. Man that felt good.

Next was a matchup between two brothers. The little one was aggressive enough to cream the big slow one. To close it all out, the main event had two of the biggest guys at Varsity House. This sure beats working on that term project in Spanish. I have to give a presentation with a partner that hasn't responded to any of my emails and, as far as I know, hasn't done any work. We may be going tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it though. It's on Cuba, so I'll be making fun of communism the whole time.

3 comments:

Ben said...

I'm pretty sure that violates some Sabbath law like thou shall not beat the crap out of each other on the Lord's holy day. But I guess you can't do too much damage with minute-long rounds. Sounds
fun.

X said...

you know the catholic church, in all it's infinate wisdom, just announced that boxing is a sin. Yep thats right, a sin. Its part of this new thing that Benedict is heading up now. So the question is why? Its because the intent of the sport is to harm the opponent. I disagree (as you have probably noticed) but just informing you. Yes I know you are not Catholic Cory, but just a fun little fact to keep in your mind while you are kicking the shit out of your opponent, that you are sinning against GOD!

Ken said...

I call movie rights!