Wednesday, December 21, 2005

A blogworthy event

Well, I know I told most of you, but seriously, if what happened to me isn't blogworthy, what is? So the gist of is I almost got myself killed twice in two days. The first was when I was running at forest park. I was running, and everything was going well, until I managed to get myself on a side trail that led me off a cliff 40 feet above highway 26. I managed to scurry back up the hill, but it was fairly scary. Found a place where homeless people live. There were empty alcohol containers, and a spot where it look like people have spent some time. The other time was on my trip to Bend. About 10 miles past Government Camp, I hit a patch of ice. My car starts sliding, and I end up crashing into a tanker, and I thought the driver, too. It turns out that the driver hoisted himself up on a bar before my car reached him, but I didn't know that. I bounced off the tanker and stopped 20 feet away. My brother and I jump out of the car to investigate what I feared would be a bloody mess on the truck. It turns out that the driver was pretty much okay, but then another car, a red Volkswagen hatchback hits the same icy patch that I hit, and slides into my brother and I. I see it in time, and try to dive out of the way, but I slip, and wasn't able to get off in time. The car hit my legs, and I spun off of it, but my brother got hit dead on, and hit the windshield, kinda like Happy Gilmore did when he got hit by a Volkswagen. Except for some seriously sore muscles, I'm fine, but my brother fractured his fibula (The small, unimportant leg bone. After all the annoying paper work stuff, I try driving off, but the car is totaled. I got a tow truck back to Government Camp, and spent the night in a hotel. My Aunt and Uncle came up the next day and got us, and we are now safely in Bend. We should be back up on the 28th, and I hope to see you all after that. I would have seen more of you when I was still in PDX, but the whole snow thing kinda made things hard.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

wow Doug...glad you and your brother are okay...

Ben said...

You guys are lucky Doug got hit by that car. If he hadn't, you would have had to read a post about my idea for sushi burritos.

post script
Doug, if you are still thinking about a Justice League nickname, I would suggest The Thing or Hulk. Your brother can be Juggernaut.

Doug said...

Dude, I had that thought too, I mean about the sushi burritos. It was make your own sushi day at one of the dining halls, and I got hellua lazy, and just decided to make a burrito instead of wrapping it up tight and cutting it. Didn't work out too well. Made as much of a mess as all my other failed attempts at sushi.

Ken said...

I was going to post about my recent pseudo-accident but yours is way, way cooler. Hit in person by a car and still running. Or typing, whatever. You're a god.