Monday, December 05, 2005

Please Don't Poke Me.

So, I went and watched me some Duke Basketball last night.

Oh man.

When VA Tech took the lead with 1.6 seconds left, one of the VA Tech Hokies started taunting the Cameron Crazies, like "Looks who's winning now?"

Don't taunt the Crazies.

"The ACC regular season started with a bang on Sunday night as Sean Dockery buried a 45-footer as time expired to lift top-ranked Duke to a 77-75 victory over Virginia Tech on Sunday evening at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Coleman Collins put the Hokies ahead, 75-74 with a rebound basket with 1.6 seconds remaining in the game. Following a timeout and brief delay to set the game clock, Josh McRoberts fired a pass to midcourt to Dockery, who dribbled once before launching the game-winner. Dockery finished the night with a career-high 19 points, with 16 of them coming in the second half."


IT WAS THE BEST GAME I HAVE EVER SEEN. Anybody who saw it on TV or saw the highlights that will probably be on for days knows what I'm talking about, and yeah, I was there. Yeah, we all flipped out and screamed and yelled OUR HOUSE. OUR HOUSE. OUR HOUSE. Yeah, I rushed the court.

I get chills every time I see it.

And yes, you can see it too!

If this link doesn't work, just check my AIM profile. It'll be on there too.
http://www.duke.edu/~ask10/Dockery.wmv

ESPN called it the best finish in Cameron's history.

I don't doubt it at all.

I didn't understand the Cameron Crazies at first...the waiting in lines for hours (days for the UNC game...oh, tenting. You are too hard core for me) the painting themselves blue and white, but now, I get it.

I LOVE DUKE BASKETBALL.

p.s. The Cameron Crazies are ridiculous. We are the most obnoxious, creative fans ever, basically, and we yell THE ENTIRE TIME. Everybody's coordinated, know what to do to react to everything, it's ridiculous, but you catch on pretty quickly to the general cheers that go with every game...it's the specific ones for each team that I LOVE .

For example: Last year, the VA Tech coach, Greenburg, got ejected from the game, and when asked to comment, said "It's ridiculous. Someone should control those fans, I almost got poked in the eye." Hence the chant: "PLEASE DON'T POKE ME. clap clap clap clap clap PLEASE DON'T POKE ME clap clap clap clap clap".

When they took foul shots, the entire student section (which is a helluva lot of people) did the Hokey Pokie (they're the hokies, get it?) as loud and exaggerated as possible.

5 comments:

Misha said...

Sorry Katie. I saw that game, and I kinda feel for VA Tech. I mean, that lead really should have sealed the deal...that shot was luck.
Not to diss on Duke though. It was a well played game on both sides, I suppose.

Katie said...

"I feel very badly for Virginia Tech," Coach K said. "They gave a winning effort. They never quit and they were certainly deserving to win. I'm not sure we were."
-ESPN.com

Duke played TERRIBLY, Mish, I know. We couldn't hit any of our threes, you know Coach K is gonna run them into the ground with practice now, almost losing to an unranked team...but that last shot was CLUTCH and I loved it and it's all good.

Misha said...

Haha, I know Katie. Didn't want to sound too mean. Duke did play terribly. I actually feel worse for Duke for winning. It would have been better for you guys to take a loss with that one. But I'm happy that you're happy.

Scott said...

Well...I missed the game...I'll try not to let such ignorance continue through the season, but as crappy as the video quality was, one thing is certain...that was a damn fine shot. Lucky? Probably. But it went in, and that's how the game's measured.

Thanks for the links, Katie!

Gotta keep up with the games here on out...figures the next game I have a class during...but after that!

Nancy said...

What the hell...he should not have made that shot. That was pretty cool though.