Friday, February 17, 2006

Back with a Vengeance, and Pictures and Drunk Guys


We honored the beloved saint, Mr. Valentine, by beating the crap out of each other. There are two guys at Varsity House that weigh less than I do. I boxed the tougher one the first time. This time I was just being mean. I couldn’t knock him down, but at least he said he got pretty dazed a couple times. He was cool about it too. He wants to box me again. He said next time I’ll have stronger arms (they’ve been sore all week) and he’ll have a stronger face. He also says that since he learned something every time he got hit (like don’t lower your gloves, ever), he’s like a genius at boxing now. Plus he gets to go around showing off his black eye.

Next, the match was between Alex and Dirty Jon. I can’t really call it a fight. Alex is a black belt at something, but that really screwed him up. Dirty Jon came out jabbing like none other. His arms were even moving too fast for the video to catch. Then he got tired, and Alex got some good hits in. In the second round, Dirty was out of gas; Alex punched him in the forehead, and Jon threw in the towel. Dirty Jon’s a pretty extreme character. Let’s say he’s a quirky, awkward version of Joe Vendehey.


Then, some loud, drunk, black guys came in and started boxing. They were walking down the street, heard the boxing going on, came in, and a couple of them put on the gloves. They looked like they knew what they were doing. During one of the rounds, one guy put his gloves down and stuck his chin down and kept goading on the other guy to take a good hit (“yea, give me some, come own, yea, I like dat”). For the whole three rounds, it was really entertaining. Then they left.

The few other matches don’t really stand out. I’m trying to work my way up so next time I challenging somebody who’s got about 20 pounds on me (mainly all muscle too). I wanted to post this right away, but my New Year’s resolution was to stay off of blogs and Facebook during winter term.

6 comments:

X said...

you and Ben should box-it-up when you two come home for break! That'll be the fight of the century!

Cory said...

Gee I'm flattered. Unless you were sarcastic. Because Ben would whoop me. Ben I can't wait to see you two whole belt holes thinner.

Ben said...

I've already put ten of the thirty back on, so you should probably come up over spring break if you want to see any difference. And I bet you'd be a great boxer if you got in a real training program.

Ben said...

Actually make that twenty, in less than four days. If I keep this pace up, I may walk on to the football team next year to play offensive line. That'd be sweet, except for the weighing 300 lbs. part.

X said...

wow good thing neither you Cory or Ben are Catholic, cause Pope Bennidict and his new council released a few months ago that boxing is a sin. why? because the intention of the sport is to inflict harm on the other person, therefore a sin. Yeah you sure are lucky that you aren't catholic Cory, cause God might just smite you down if you were. The same goes for you Ben...wait? Hold on...

Cory said...

aw man. I was hoping Pope BENEDICT had changed his mind since the last time you shared that little tidbit. but seriously, I think you had a couple of good points in there. my next match (on Mardi Gras), I'm thinking of boxing somebody I don't really like. I'd really like to humble him, but he has 40 pounds on me. So my motive is definitely morally questionable in this one. On the other hand, most of the time I've been boxing my friends. It's a real bonding experience. The way I look at it, the point of it is the same as the point of all other sports, to do well and beat the other team/guy. I'm into sports for the competition, and boxing is just a more physical means of competition than most other sports.

Your other good point was that I am lucky I am not Catholic.