Sunday, February 26, 2006

Mock Trial Regionals...

I guess this is shameless self promotion, but I just wanted to mention that this weekend was the Notre Dame Mock Trial Regional Competition. There were over 21 teams from 11 universities present. Notre Dame, as a program, took the top three spots in the tournament, including the two bids for the national tournament to be held the weekend before Easter in Iowa. My team (Team 924, nicknamed "Ramrod") finished in first place as the only team with a perfect record. Two of our attorneys, one other witness, and myself (for my role as a witness) won awards for our "Outstanding Individual Performance" (the other three on my team were seniors). All told 10 of the 22 individual awards went to ND students on our three teams. Generally, the top 10 witnesses and top 10 attorneys are honored in this fashion, but there were 12 honored for each at our regional because of ties in the voting. All told, it was quite a dominate showing for ND, one we will hopefully continue in April at Nationals.


And now I need to catch up on the sleep I didn't get this weekend.

-JB

8 comments:

Dave said...

Sweet man, thats awesome! Is that the same group as the parli team? Anyhow, you guys @ ND are phenominal (if dicks in-round, but thats a legitimate intimidation tactic I wish I could master ;).

Rock on Jeb!

Anonymous said...

and we care why?

Shinekaze said...

First off: Whoever made that anonymous remark, fuck off. I'll show you why we care with a crowbar one-two combo to the kneecaps and interior of the ribcage.

Second: Congrats John, glad to hear your team had a good showing in the Mock Trial. Does this mean you get to go to nationals? Cause if so, that'd be pretty cool.

Ben said...

Great job John! You'll have to bring me back some delicious maize. I hear it grows year-round in Iowa, even out of the asphalt.

Ken said...

Wow, that's funny--Cornell won the Cornell mock trial competition too! ;) Just kidding. Way to go, man! (I'm a little upset your team stole Ben's nickname though.)

John and Karolyn said...

Ken, Cornell took 4th in their regional and will be going to the "silver" tournament - where, if they beat 44ish other teams, they will get a bid to the national tournament.
Perhaps the name of the regional is misleading, it is only refered to as the ND Regional because it is hosted by us (our facilities are nicer than those that could be provided by any other school in the region, and ND will front the expense to host it). Cornell doesn't host a regional, instead attending one in Gettysburg, I beleive.

As for why you care, anonymous, I suppose your question is more your way of saying you don't care, which is fine.

Dave, debate and MT are different (I assume debate is parli?).

And I will most likely be attending nationals...we'll make the final decision as a team as to how we can give our best showing at nationals later this week. I'm of the opinion there are others who are better suited for it, but the seniors of my team have been strongly disagreeing all year, so we'll see.

-JB

Ken said...

Jeez, I hope our region isn't "upstate New York," cause that would just be embarrassing.

X said...

Good Luck at Nationals!