Thursday, February 23, 2006

Why We Fight

I don't know if any of you have heard of this documentary, but I cannot encourage you enough to go see it if you get a chance. Marquette had a screening of it yesterday along with a Q & A session with Eugene Jarecki, the director of the film. It was amazing. Before people start jumping to party lines, I have never seen a documentary which truly tries to present the various reasons for going to war, rather than critisizing hawks and doves.

There was actually a bit of controversy at Marquette (apparently) over whether or not Jarecki was liberal or conservative, the College Republicans were angry that they told their memebers to attend the screening after they heard Jarecki was against the war. Personally, I believe Jarecki blew them out of the water. He is not a liberal. Nor is he a conservative. He truly believes that America should not be in a war which only furthers the military-industrial complex we live in, which Dwight D. Eisenhower warned America against so fervently in his farewell speech. Jarecki was extremely well-spoken and well-informed about the present situation of the American government, which I believe made the College Republicans who showed up only attempting to bash his film, look like idiots.

After leaving the event I was handed a flier from the College Republicans at the door who said, "Come to this speaker if you want to hear the other side." I was utterly shocked. The other side? The other side of Jarecki's film would be compelling Americans to be apathetic. Jarecki encouraged people to get involved in the Eisenhower Project, which he started in order to increase awareness of the government's flow of money to certain businesses, universities, and corporations which in actuality propel the war machine America has become.

Again, if you get a chance to see this film, please do. Even if you believe the war is right and justified; Jarecki has shown the film to cadets at West Point and was given permission by the Pentagon to interview their personnel, this is not a one-sided argument and he is not Michael Moore. Milwaukee people: "Why We Fight" will open at the Oreintal in March.

10 comments:

Scott said...

I've been looking forward to this, but with your recommendation will certainly be there to see it whenever it drags its butt to Boston.

That said, and not really fully knowing the whole thing, I don't think there's anything wrong with hearing what the College Republicans would have to say. You might not agree with it all, but they could have a few good points.

P.S. I just got my Word Verification wrong for like the third time.

Ben said...

Yeah dude, something is up with that word verification thing. I sure hope that documentary comes to us here at Notre Dame. We could use some intelligent discussion. You should have heard the controversy surrounding the performance of The Vagina Monologues, the high point being a speech in which our President, a Holy Cross priest, said vagina like a dozen times. Gosh I'm immature.

X said...

I wonder if its coming to portland? ill have to look it up. Also UP banned the vagina monologs. like completely banned it, as in no student is allowed to perform it, and if they do they cannot realease that they are connected to the school. it is really stupid and the Drama department is pissed off. and get this: the people who banned it refused to even read the Vagina Monologs, so they are banning it off of the title and second hand knowledge alone. grrr...

Katie said...

We watched "Why We Fight", like the original documentary, in my last film class. I actually wrote a paper on it.

I wish I had a car and could get off campus. That would be nice.

p.s. beat you scott, got it wrong four times. maybe it doesn't help that two of those times, it had a "z" in it, and this kid ryan managed to break off my "z" key, so i have to press the little plastic that holds up the key...which wouldn't be so hard to live with if i didn't have a z in my last name. ugh.

Rachel said...

Yeah the Vagina Monologues were recently stopped from coming to Marquette as well...they claim that it "demeans the human body", which is outside of Catholic principles. But the reason people wanted it to come was in support of fighting violence against women...I'm pretty much of the opinion that violence against women is much more "demeaning" to the human body than monologues about female sexuality.

sometimes i really wish i hadn't gone to a Catholic college.

Shinekaze said...

*Is amused due to the fact that Vagina Monologues is running at the university's "theatre" (former small animal sciences building with all battens and electrics deadhung from the roof, and no actual security on stage).*
As for the documentary, I can't wait, I'm willing to bet that someone will bring it here to OSU, and when it hits town, I'll go give it a once over. Thanks for the heads up Rachel.

Adrianna said...

Sounds very interesting, I'd love to go see it. My closest friends here are in the ROTC and so have very different perspectives on a lot of things, so I hear both sides of the story these days... although suprisingly many kids in the ROTC don't even really want to fight. Many just wanted to go to college and are really scared of Iraq... some, of course, are gung-ho. My best friend is fighting to get into the military intelligence branch, because if she doesn't she's going into transportation which = on the ground in Iraq which generally = not good. The entire Marquette AROTC class that graduated last year is in Iraq right now. Scary thought, huh?

Yeah, ditto about not liking the Catholic college thing. It's still quite sheltered. It would be interesting to see real controversy on this campus.

Misha said...

OMG, The Vagina Monologues were the funniest thing I have ever seen. I saw them in Seattle, and I've got to say, they were not demeaning in the slightest.

Shakeer said...

I agree Rachel. I saw a pre-screening with Jarecki here and I was very impressed. Jarecki was really full of himself though.

Dylan said...

I'm really glad you saw it Rachel, and I guess I'm seeing it with Scott soon. As to Shakeer's comment, Jarecki comes across as rather condscending but knows a lot about history and statecraft, just like Noam Chomsky, who also is branded as liberal (I guess that started when Chomsky did the same sort of analysis of Vietnam Jarecki's doing now. David Horowitz actually has Chomsky in the "anti-american" column of his chart, beneath "liberal" and even "radical"). Anywho, I'd rather be condescended to by someone like Jarecki or Gore Vidal or Chomsky than--having watched them interact with people--George W. Bush or Hilary Clinton, which must feel ten times as worse. ;)

SOU did the Vagina Monologues as a fundraiser for the Women's Resource Center. I saw it only hearing the bad things about it--which were completely unfounded.