Monday, November 06, 2006

2 More

Normally I’d be against writing reviews under my current condition (on the verge of collapse, with a headache to boot), but a part of me thinks I might just unleash something really cool. Then again, I am totally exhausted, so we’ll see how this goes.

BORAT

Funniest f-ing movie I’ve seen in years. The most I’ve laughed since at least the Dodgeball/Anchorman days. Sure, this isn’t exactly for the crowd that’s easily offended by…anything (really, name it, every hot-, or even warm-button issue is hit), but for how smart the comedy is, it’s pretty accessible. You don’t have to watch CNN regularly to “get it.” Think of it as South Park meets Jackass meets Andy Kaufman (yeah, bonus points for recognizing that last reference), and if any of those tickle your fancy (I’m not a big Jackass fan), you’ll go nuts for this.

BABEL

Annnnnnnd on the opposite end of the spectrum. I walked past an issue of Entertainment Weekly at the library today (which was gone and replace by the time I came back to it not an hour later…fast-moving environment) that called it the dark horse of this year, which I’m inclined to agree with. It’s not being totally ignored, but I wasn’t really looking forward to it that much when I went to see it, despite the huge reviews it was getting. But it is, hands down, the best work Brad Pitt’s done in years, maybe in his career (okay, it’s no Tyler Durden), and some of Cate Blanchett’s finer work (which is a surprise if someone read her role to you in a sentence). The rest of the cast is mostly unknown (that dude from Science of Sleep is in here, and I was glad to find I didn’t wanna punch him in the face this time around). The movie just moves, moves, moves, and even the almost inconsequential story about a deaf-mute Japanese girl resonates pretty strongly.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh my god, Borat is ridiculous. It's amazing that all the other people in the movie were not paid actors.

Chris Nye said...

you laughed harder at "Snakes"