Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Coupla Reviews

Forgot to post these...and since no one's posted in...awhile, here ya go.

THE PRESTIGE

I have almost nothing to say about this movie, because if I start into it I may get into spoiler territory very, very fast. If anyone who’s seen the movie wants to discuss it, I'm game. But if you have any desire to see this (and you should), see it SOON. It’s a movie with twist upon twist upon twist, which can either work to great effect (Memento, The Usual Suspects) or fail (The Village). But even twist isn’t the right word…more like reversals. You know the SPY VS. SPY comics in MAD MAGAZINE? Imagine that, but totally serious and deadly and stretched for just over two hours. For me, it worked…I think the stuff towards the end might be a bit much for some people…it gets ridiculous, but you know what else it gets? Fucking awesome.

Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman are both awesome, which should surprise no one (Jackman especially though is really just getting better and better…ARGH I need to see The Fountain). I only wish they had more scenes together. Michael Caine is also fantastic, but he was even good in Bewitched, so he can pretty much do no wrong. Director Christopher Nolan (Memento, Batman Begins) also finds the best use anyone’s had for Scarlett Johansson in the last couple years, which is basically a pretty face. David Bowie (I know, Bowie!) and Andy Serkis (Gollum) are also in here, and kick ass.

And that’s as much as I’ll say. But go see it, and as with any twist movie, don’t TRY to guess the end. You’ll have more fun. It’s my new favorite Christopher Nolan movie for the time being, and given my love for Memento, that should say something.

FAST FOOD NATION

I had hoped I’d have more to say about this, but I just don’t. Look, I love meat, I love fast food, and this film didn’t change it, but honestly that part of it isn’t what stood out to me (though it stood out like hell to the meat haters in the audience). What works best for me is the ensemble cast and the themes of sacrifice and compromise we all have to go through for a thousand different reasons. It’s a very effective piece of drama, and the entire cast brings their A-game, no matter the size of their role (Ethan Hawke has an especially great part for as little screen time as he has).

The movie comes out sometime in mid-November, and while I would hardly recommend against it, I saw it…five days ago, and I can’t say it’s stuck with me to any great degree.

1 comment:

Magda said...

Oh Scott, I don't know what this blog would do without you...