Monday, December 05, 2016

LADY DYNAMITE (2016)



So I was probably a little too gushing with the Mindy post, but I think my sense of the state of comedy is skewed by the strange release schedules common among the best sitcoms right now.  UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT is my favorite right now, and LADY DYNAMITE occupies a strange in-between space--it triple-downs on LOUIE's ambition, and quadruples its success rate.       Maria is my vote for most talented entertainer on the planet right now, and she seems to have found the perfect outlet for the bullet trains that her brain sends rocketing around pop culture, WASPisms, and first world frailty.  This show is darker than almost any drama sans THE WIRE but it leavens the loaf with pugs and slapstick and the best array of supporting characters possibly ever.  Did you think Dean Cain would be super-relevant in 2016, and maybe produce its best comedic moment?  Steph and I have seen her perform live twice now, and I just hope she can continue to do whatever the heck she wants.

No comments: