Wednesday, May 17, 2017

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, VOL. 2 dir. James Gunn (2017)



Somehow the 15th "MCU" film, I'm feeling the same sort of resigned fatigue for these things as new Star Wars films--they're serviceable enough storyboards of movies that I'd want to see,  but any opportunity for genuine charm is lost in the effort to keep the trains moving on time and allow for the requisite 4.5 big CGI battles that I guess they have evidence that kids need to stay enthused? There are enough goofs and heart to earn my genial, bemused goodwill but I sure wish the writers would do some soul-searching and think about why we really love the things we do. The X-Wing weren't the cool part.  Let the Wookie win.

"Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" is one of the pinnacles of 70's songwriting, and if this only serves to bring it to a new generation, then it earns a pass in my book.

No comments: