Sunday, September 17, 2006

DO NOT download the new iTunes 7.0 ! !

This is a warning to all of those who run iTunes on their computer and have not already downloaded the new version.

As it turns out Apple has once again screwed up. The new iTunes program that they have developed to replace the exsisting one is complete with new features as well as old problems. When you install the new iTunes it will try to compress your files, unfortunatly a common result of this compression is the complete destruction of your music library. This has happened to me, as well as countless others around the country. What happens is that when it compresses the files, the sound quality is destroyed and the resulting music sounds staticy, scratchy, and it will occasionally skip as well. I visited the Mac Store to see if there was some way to correct the problem, the employee I spoke to said this: "No." She then told me the only way to correct the probelem is to completely redownload and reburn all your CDs that you downloaded to, because apparently there is no way to uncompress the music files. Not even uninstalling the program and installing the old version, because the damage has already been done. This is why she has not yet downloaded the new version, apparently the employees all knew that there was a possiblilty for error, and therefor Mac's own people are not downloading the new versions. Unfortunatly they did not share that with the rest of us. So now my entire library of well over 1500 songs is completely gone, irretrevable to my knowledge and unbareable to listen to. The Mac store employee said there is a possibilty that Apple will create a patch to correct the problem, but she said it is unlikely.

If you somehow know of a way to fix this problem, please let me know! I really dont want to redownload all my music and recopy all my cd's. Thank you.

5 comments:

b said...

r.i.p. madonna elvis and billy joel

Anonymous said...

Ummm... did you just let it convert your wma files to AAC format? 'cause it prompts for that. But I haven't had any problems with 7.0

X said...

But alas, it was not good.


and I dont remember it prompting me to convert anything...I probably would have said no. But who knows, maybe it was hidden in the underbelly of the beast which is the readme or something.

And btw Ben, I only have 45 madonna songs, 39 elvis songs, and 47 Billy Joel songs. Just so you know.

Scott Nye said...

In his defense, both Elvis and Billy Joel are fantastic. I'll even say Madonna's talented, but for reasons that are beyond me I really just don't like her. Maybe it's for kissing Britney Spears. Y'know, when she was actually...hot.

b said...

billy joel was banned from notre dame in the late 70s because they told him he couldn't play 'only the good die young' at his concert here and he played it six times in a row.