Friday, October 12, 2007

THE DARJEELING LIMITED

“At this moment, I didn't feel shame or fear, but just kind of blah, like when you're sitting there and all the water's run out of the bathtub.”
-Holly Sargis, Badlands (1973)

And that’s kind of how I feel about this movie. I saw it nearly a week ago, and for the life of me I can’t find one interesting thing to say about it, any feelings towards it to convey. It moved me, but only in brief, fleeting moments that were crushed by bad symbolism at the end of the picture. But it wasn’t really a bad movie, per se. There was nothing in it overly obnoxious, the characters were pretty solidly-built, and it’s decently entertaining, but this really is territory Wes Anderson’s been over before in far more compelling ways, and so it’s just…it’s tedious. It’s an hour-and-a-half long movie, and it feels tedious. You wait for something new or unexpected to happen or be said, but it doesn’t, but what does happen and what is said is still pretty good. But not great. Or new. Just kind of blah, like when you’re sitting there and all the water’s run out of the bathtub.

And honest to God, that's all I've got.

4 comments:

b said...

i am still resolutely and foolishly excited to see it

Scott Nye said...

Have you seen Rushmore or The Royal Tenenbaums though?

b said...

of course. the only one i haven't is zissou

Anonymous said...

I used to sit in the bathtub while it drained, but then I read that picture book about the toy that fell down the drain and required a major toy operation to retrieve... I remember it feeling remarkably similar to a Wes Anderson movie though.