Saturday, April 23, 2011

Year's End Three {Hip-Hop/Pop}

This was the year Ben went hip-hop. You're gonna have to indulge me, as I lack all the vocab and cool to actually discuss this stuff without embarassing myself. But when I sat down to try to figure out what mattered to me this year, "Indie" just didn't cut it.

I did a lot of driving for my job this year, and most of the indie/country stuff I had with me just didn't sound that good on my Chevy stereo. Hip-hop did. So, with the aid of my used record store, I took myself on a crash course of rap and formed predictably strong opinions. Also, I allowed myself to like pop. Which, it turns out, makes all the difference in the world. (And luckily it was a really strong year for pop)

Honorable Mentions:

Lady Gaga. Ok, so she really didn't do anything this year except release Alejandro as a single (making Top 40 (aka Top 8) radio 12.5% more listenable) and wear a meat dress. But she makes me feel more optimistic than anything else about modern music (minus Kanye) and I am psyched about her new album. Also, Bad Romance still blows my mind, every single time.

Katy Perry, almost exclusively for Teenage Dream the song. She sings what could have been another vacuous single like her life depends on it.

Drake. Oh you fancy, huh? (Which is actually about how awesome it is when girls get their diplomas. Love it.) His album is 808's and Heartbreak, but not as good. Hope he worked the mopey out of his system. Cuz when he's on, he's undeniable and he brings mainstream hip-hop up along with him. Over is still sick as shit, tho.

Runner-Up: Robyn. Dancing On My Own. Sheezus.

10. Ke$ha. Please, don't throw eggs. Hear me out. Well, actually just read her Wikipedia page. I too figured she was some LA richgurl production. Which would make it a lot easier to deny her three great singles. But yeah, she's actually kinda legit. Love the story of sneaking on to Prince's mansion.

9. Flying Lotus. This one needed my full attention. Listened to it four times as background music and it just seemed hyperactive and directionless. On headphones it sounded like an epiphany an a salve for my over-Pop-ped ears.

8. Nicky Minaj. Best new everything. I wish I could afford to pay her to insult people for me.

7. Janaelle Monae. Like Kanye, she envisions an all-consuming hip-hop. She casts the net even wider, and her ambition pays off with some great songs, including 'Cold War,' my song of the second half of the year:


6. Big Boi. Don't block my shine, shorty.

5. Teebs. Sigur Ros for the more beat-inclined (sans Jonsi, but I'm so sick of that guy anyhow.) Will make your mornings better and your heart hurt less.

4. Rihanna. (Docked a spot cuz 'Rude Boy' gets stuck in my head. Yeah.) Her new album has three great songs, and as usual she is an assassin when called in to save someone's career with a chorus. (Mathers, party of one.) Also, ALL OF THE FUCKING LIGHTS.

3. Jeezy. Two real good mixtapes this year: Last Laugh and Trap or Die II. Stuff makes me feel ten feet tall.

2. Big K.R.I.T. I pray this guy makes it big. Got a huge heart, great ear. Could be a hip-hop hero. His free (?) album K.R.I.T. Wuz Here soundtracked all my worn-out drives home along Rock Creek, drinking in the twilight. Download it (Also, Voices is my ringtone)

BONUS BEST DISCOVERY=J Dilla who made the greatest life music

2 comments:

pat said...

So who's your number one?

And where is eminem on this list?

b said...

number one is the only one still waiting to be written, trying not to sound ridiculous. i'm glad Em is back, but i only heard the hits of that album. and they were good, but dude needs an editor. window-pain? c'mon