Anybody else have a fantasy football team going? Any suggestions for a first-timer?
Playing with Berkeley folks plus Pete "The Slapper" O'Malley. That includes Steph, who I'm matched up with this week. I'm *was* favored by 1 point, but then I suggested she start Hakeem Nicks instead of Michael Crabtree so now she's projected to beat me by 9.


8 comments:
Hey, I started playing last year so I'm no expert but here's my take.
I get that you have a bye-week QB problem but I don't think Alex Smith is gonna be worth locking up a roster spot for 10 weeks... I'd drop him and pick someone up right beforehand, unless you're in a really huge league. (Or if you trust Aaron Rodgers to outperform RG3, trade RG3 to someone for a valuable flex player.)
Same with backup kicker and backup defense. They're each good individually but you're better off using those spots to pick up flex players who either have good matchups that week, or potential in general (in response to starters' injuries, etc.). Then deal with bye weeks when you get closer to them.
(BTW I did exactly what you did last year, prioritizing bye weeks, so I know where you're coming from. What you don't expect when you're starting out is how much change your bench will go through as the season goes on.)
Given your current team, though, you have the right lineup. And I like your first stringers a lot.
Here's my team: http://i.imgur.com/UOe2x.png
Agree, don't need two kickers or two defenses. Also don't need three qbs. Load up on rb's and wr's and then just switch out kickers and d on the bye weeks.
Also, I can't figure out how to display it but team is better than either of yours.
Cool! Thanks for the help, Ken! And thanks the sort of bitchy reiteration, Pat!
I was actually at work during the draft, so I had a buddy choosing the guys...I should of asked your advice prior. He was really hot on Alex Smith for some reason. He wanted to pick him like three spots higher, actually.
We're only in an 8-team league. What kind of league, and with whom, are you two playing? Your team looks awesome Ken. I see Big Ben sitting in the wings. Steph has a trade offer of Ben+"Stevan Ridley" for her Peyton Manning. What do you think? I told her to wait on it and see how Peyton does.
I wish this thing would have existed when I was in grade school and watched at least 4 games start-to-finish every week. I don't know who any WRs or RBs are anymore :-/ I basically pick them by which QB is throwing to them.
Also, what does waiver order mean? Thanks!
You're welcome Ben!!
I'm in a couple of different ten team leagues, Santa Clara and then Navy people. Waiver order is usually reverse order of the draft. Whoever has higher priority gets their pick of free agents.
My league is expressly designed to mimic The League of FX fame. All grad student friends here.
If Stephanie has a decent 1st string QB I would definitely grab Stevan Ridley, if she still can. Looks like the Patriots are going back to a balanced attack (which is unfortunate for my "entire patriots passing attack" team).
Btw, the default NFL.com order for waiver wire is that it resets to the league standings every Tuesday. Then if you make a roster move, you go to the back of the waiver line again. That way one guy can't grab all the good players -- there's a time limit built in where other teams can get players too.
Too lazy to plug in numbers -- your team won last week, right? Your opponent got jack out of Turner and Gore IIRC. My team got ruined. Wes Welker better start putting up more than 1.4 points for me. At least my last-on-the-waiver-wire status allowed me first crack at CJ Spiller this week.
Also Pat, it's like the easiest thing in the world to post your team. Here's one way.
open your team in your browser
hit alt+printscreen
go to paint, ctrl+v, save image to desktop
go to imgur.com, then drag the icon of the image onto the imgur screen
boom you're done
You can also do this with the snipping tool (windows key, type "snip") if you have Win7
yo Ken, you definitely sound expert-level to me.
I actually LOST to my wife last week. oh the shame. Stephen Jackson got jack-shit and she had Houston's D which put up 16.
Steph has Eli Manning as her starter, so she's pretty weak there, at least until he turns it on in November. Do you think subbing Peyton in for his brother is a safe-ish bet? I know you were watching that crazy game Sunday night.
and Pat, now you have no excuses not to share your "superior teams" with us. Ken laid out a wikiHow for you there.
Oh, and I am definitely deflated about Notre Dame's move to the ACC. The Big East made no sense, and the ACC makes even less. We always should have been a Big Ten school, *especially* in football. College athletes should NOT regularly have to travel 1000 miles for an away game.
The fact that our basketball team is now going to be humiliated by Duke twice a year is just icing on the cake.
Post a Comment