Sunday, December 22, 2013

Five Favorite Podcasts of 2013

Between commuting and dog-walking, I have a couple hours to day to kill.  These keep me laughing and enjoying my time.

Honorable Mention: WTF (musician interviews only)
His John Darnielle interview is absolutely required, Iggy Pop was fun as hell, and J Mascis was revelatory.  I've been harsh on Marc in the past but it definitely is not his fault that interviewing comedians is now the most boring activity a person can pursue. 

Runner-Up: Sklarbro Country
Not County fuck County.  I love these guys, but wish they'd keep it to under an hour.  Lack of editing leads to diminishing returns.

5. Mike and Tom Eat Snacks
I need this back so bad.

4. Comedy Bang Bang
I am definitely spoiled by the abundance of this.  I listen to it at double-time while commuting and it serves as a coffee substitute.

 3. The Bugle
My favorite news source.  Gives hope through the gloom like wartime radio dispatches.  Their riffing and expounding is like The Onion if their stories were as good as their headlines.

2.  Nerd Poker
Decidedly not for everyone.  But if the idea of comedians playing D&D appeals to you at all (for instance, Patton Oswalt drops by to sing a dwarven drinking song he wrote), you should give it a try.  Their dungeon master Sarc is a phenomenal storyteller, Posehn plays the phlegmatic MC, Gerry Duggan is a hysterically in-character paladin, and Blaine Capatch reveals himself to be the fastest wit I've ever heard.

1. Harmontown
So free format it isn't even funny, encouraging conversations that vacillate from scatological to divine and back.  Jeff and Dan are the ultimate odd couple, Spencer the precocious DM is the foil, and the rotating cast of guest comedians and live show regulars make it a real community.  Also, I met these folks and you can hear me yell out the correct final year of Prohibition at the Portland show.  Nerd among nerds.

No comments: