Tuesday, March 06, 2018

ANNIHILATION dir Alex Garland (2018)



Holy bovine this was a godsend!  It is coming to Netflix in one week, but I'd advocate you see this on the big screen if you at all can, it was truly an experience, the most visceral time I've had at the movies since FURY ROAD.  Bonkers creatively, with so many ideas and so much to give.  Driven by this unspoken collective worry, guilt and sorrow born of living through our anthropogenic mass extinction event, it is like a FANTASIA (1940) for these end times.



I mean, your mileage may vary, this had two of my biggest academic interests- ecology and cancer biology- paired with two visual codexes that haunt my brain- William Faulkner and TRUE DETECTIVE.  But I believe its power and timeliness are just undeniable. Garland himself is a mutant, having ingested the DNA of our masters of horror, suspense and sci-fi and warped them into a singular flowering beast.



Major kudos to producer Scott Rudin for refusing Skydance Productions' demands to alter the ending and main character, even if it meant losing any promotional push and having it shunted to Netflix after a few weeks. The man preserved an epic.

No comments: