Friday, December 15, 2006

The Music of 2006

great 2006 album:
....

well, here are the very good ones, let me know if you think I'm missing something:
TV on the Radio
Yo La Tengo
Beirut
Califone
Destroyer
Decemberists
Liars

good:
the hold steady
band of horses
peter and the wolf
grizzly bear
margot and the nucs (rerelease tho it still got shit for coverage)
clipse
swan lake
subtle

pretty good:
six organs of admittance
gnarls barkley
islands
mogwai
tarkio (shut up I'm counting it)
mountain goats
belle and sebastian
thom yorke
danielson
asobi seksu
bonnie 'prince' billy
built to spill
franz ferdinand
neko case


disappointments:
sunset rubdown
...and you will know us by the trail of our dead (big)
the flaming lips (very big)
beck (ha)
cat power (eh)

things I haven't listened to yet from this year but should (because one might be that great album that never came out this year):
futureheads
neil young (well, I pretty much saw him perform it, sans 100 gospel choir)
walkmen
mission of burma
rapture
sonic youth
regina spektor
m. ward
my brightest diamond
xiu xiu
joanna newsom
chad vangaalen
horse feathers (portland! a kid younger than us!)
yeah yeah yeahs
the thermals
bob dylan (i've had this forever but have no desire to hear it)
peter bjorn and john
boris
man man
fiery furnaces
and I don't know for sure but I'm assuming thanksgiving put out at least three records

a lot of these we have up at the station, i just need a bigger harddrive. there's only some much death cab a man can delete. that was a joke. but seriously.

Next year promises to be bigger, what with these established kids releasing albums that I'm looking forward to:
arcade fire, deerhoof, clap your hands, apples in stereo, explosions in the sky, ted leo, architecture in helsinki, dinosaur jr., the go! team, interpol, magnetic fields, pornos, pixies, wilco, andrew bird, british sea power, bloc party, spoon, modest mouse, radiohead, wrens, shins, etc/ the link has some definite dates


and the odds that some great new thing will have to come around seeing as nothing that fantastic showed up this year.

vote for your favorite though if you please, i'm kind of curious (no the avalanche does not count. no. no it doesn't. because it doesn't, okay?)

mine:prolly califone

yeah, i can't sleep. my body apparantly hates me

6 comments:

imac said...

Califone edges Yo La Tengo by just a bit for me. But Get Lonely was definitely better than pretty good, at least for me.

magda. said...

uhm... so i know you were totally meaning to post it under the very good ones, but you might have gotten a little distracted because you forgot hellogoodbye, dude, and i know you're quite the fan.

but i really enjoyed the voxtrot eps and the sufjan christmas album (usually i can't stand christmas music) and also snowden which you didn't mention and my favorite would have to be the decemberists but then i also haven't listened to califone yet. i should do that. you should sleep more, it's good for you. like not drinking coffee.

Nancy said...

I liked You & The Atom Bomb's debut album a lot.

John said...

Only thing with hellogoodbye is I like their first album so much more, Maggie...

I know its more "mainstream" than most of this, but I really like Sam's Town from The Killers. Its not a "hear it once and love it" type deal, but after listening to the album a few times through, I really love it now.

I'd also add Jack's Mannequin, but they're probably too emo for this crowd.

Shakeer said...

I was thinking about this a few days ago. 2006 kind of sucked but I guess I haven't listened to much new music this year and my list makes that obvious:

1: woelv - gris
2: natural snow buildings - the dance of the moon and the sun
3: clipse - hell hath no fury
4: boris - pink
5: liars - drum's not dead

also mustafa ozkent - genclick ile elele is a re-release but I like it a lot

Shakeer said...

also b'day