Sunday, January 28, 2007

Margot & the Nuclear So and So's [live]

Yeah, so they came back (for free again yay! because I'm out of money). No Clap Your Hands Say Yeah this time (link), though they did talk about it and suggest we purchase Clap's new album. Man I love Clap.

I was pretty excited when I heard they were coming back on a small tour of local colleges (they're from Indy) even if the concert was put on by our rival radio station. Those WVFI bastards played my favorite record of all time In The Aeroplane Over The Sea in between the opener and Margot. That album is something sacred and they played it as filler music to a bunch of buzzed wannabe hipsters who were ignoring it. They're not even a real radio station.

I was pumped going in because I was sure that they would be working on some of the songs from their new record. I was a little let down by the number of new songs, which went unnamed. If they were worried about us putting bootlegs up on the internet, this was the wrong crowd. Oh well, their energy was almost as good as last year when they had something to prove and the crowd got into it. For better or worse, a lot of dorky grad students know all their lyrics. I've only met one person who didn't get into this band (my old DJ partner) so we'll hope they swing by Portland this summer (and play a longer set) or show up at Sasquatch. All eight members were there, which kind of surprised me, though the cellist played a violin which I can't really blame him for. Their trumpeter looks really out of place. I should have a picture but I didn't bring my camera. Sorry. The lead guy Richard made fun of the ND Nazi admins who threatened to throw them out if they smelled alcohol on their breaths last time. He said the new record would be out this year.

Setlist:
1. New song, something about an ocean breathing salt (Modest Mouse?)
2. New song, ...upstairs snorting coke (Wilco-sounding)
3. Talking in Code
4. On a Freezing Chicago Street
5. New song, ...something about a payphone (Walkmen)
6. Paper Kitten Nightmare
7. Skeleton key, with a little stronger into
8. Vampires in Blue Dresses (during which I briefly fell in love with the keyboard player)
9. Quiet as a Mouse
{random freakout}
10. Barfight Revolution, Power Violence, with extra distortion
encore
11. Jen Is Bringing the Drugs, with keyboardist on melodica

Score: mMmGravy

3 comments:

magda. said...

lucky...

although jen is bringing the drugs is my least favorite song of theirs.

b said...

yeah i wanted light on a hill

Anonymous said...

Thanks for bashing the organization that made the event happen.

And also, WVFI wasn't responsible for playing NMH in between sets. The Legends sound guy just started playing it off his ipod.