At Scott's New Years party a few people expressed interest in taking a hiking trip sometime this summer. I wanted to check and see how many people would still be up for taking a trip or two. I was thinking maybe setting up a shorter hike to get people prepped and then a longer, say 20 or 30+ mile trek. We could set it up and spread it out over a week or so, so it wouldn't be a horrible hard march. If we really want to do this, I'd be more than happy to plan and coordinate the trip. I really would like to get out and camp again.
We have a couple of options for the trip. The first option is to do a straight hike, start at a trailhead and hike straight through to the other side. The other option is to start at the trailhead and hike to a destination spot, say a lake or some other nice camp site, and spend a day or two relaxing and then finish the trip with by hiking back out.
Some ideas of places that we could go:
Pacific Crest Trail
http://www.pcta.org/about_trail/overview.asp
This trail is a long, long trip, does not really have any places to stop for a couple of days of relaxing. We would also have to set up a pick up time and location since this trail does not loop back on itself. The trail runs pretty close to Portland, so its no trouble getting there. Some trails also overlap with PCT, such as the Columbia Gorge trails.
Columbia River Gorge
http://gorp.away.com/gorp/activity/hiking/features/loops3.htm
This trail is a ~30 mile loop, so we'd end up where we started. Trail is about 45 miles out from Portland, near Hood River.
Oregon Coast
There are two recommended hikes along the Oregon Coast. First, there is trail, running from Bandon to Port Orford, it follows highway 101, and is 29 miles long. It is noted for going past some of the most pristine and quietest beaches. The other path is from Seaside to Manzanita, and is 31 miles long. It sounds like it has more variety than the other path, with the trail running through high cliff areas, as well as forests and hitting the beaches and tidepools in some areas.
Diamond Peak Loop
This path takes us through the Willamette Pass. There are several small lakes that we'd be able to camp by, and the path runs in a loop 27 miles long.
Eastern Oregon
We can select from several trails, ranging from high desert to rock formations. Seeing as how it will be hot with summer and all, this is at the bottom of my personal list.
Please respond if you are interested in taking the trip, and please provide feedback on hike destination preference. It might also be a good idea to take stock of your available camping equipment. If you are missing something, let the rest of us know, we may have extra equipment, or have suggestions how what to get. Also, disseminate this information to people who no longer read the blog. I know that a handful of people are still active, but I'm not sure whom.
10 comments:
I forgot to mention, these are just the trails in Oregon, we could easily hit a trail in Washington, or even NoCal. Examples being a hike on Mt. St. Helens, or Mt. Rainer in Washington, or the Sierra Nevada's in North California.
If you end up planning anything in either June or September, let me know, because I'd love to go. The Oregon Coast trail would be amazing, but I'm not picky.
Devon, you are the man. Great idea to put this up here, sorry I didn't get back to you. I was just thinking about it. I would really like the Diamond Peak Loop, my dad has hiked it and said it was a lot of fun. I'm devoting my tax return to buying boots and equipment. I'll be back early May thru August. I guess I'd most like to do mid-August.
As Scott, Doug and I realized one insanely bored night, Winco is the place to go to put together some trail mix.
If we could get something together, that'd be awesome. I'm really not picky, either. All of the ones you mentioned sound awesome, and I know that stuff near Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Rainier is gorgeous.
Whether or not I can actually DO a weeklong hike with work and all of that crapola is still up in the air, but if it's possible, I am all over that.
My personal favorites for trail options are, the Coast (nice and cool for the summer! Plus bonfire on the beach anyone?), Bull of the Woods Loop, and Diamond Peak Loop. Doing more research on Mt. Rainer shows that it would be a serious hike, the main path is 93 miles, and usually only experienced hikers make it to the top. All of the ones listed above are ~30 mile trips, and we could make them in 2 or 3 days with no real effort.
I'd also be up for multiple trips, like a short 30 mile weekend style hike, and then a longer week long one or something later in summer, how about it?
I don't think I'll have any completely free weeks this summer...a weekend trip might work, but time is always really tight for me over the summer. Is there any interest in a day hike/picnic (maybe as a lead-in to whatever long hikes take place)?
A beach bonfire sounds down right amazinging right now, though...
If I can get the work off, I'm down for whenever and wherever.
I have a ton of gear 'cause my dad did a week in Glacier, but I'd have to root around for what exactly.
I'm not sure if I'm going to be in Oregon over the summer, but if I am count me in! I don't have much by way of gear, but I'm willing to pay somebody for loner stuff. I have boots?
Anything would be nice... something not flat and pretty?
I have a rough outline for the 3 day, ~30 mile beach trip. This trip will be in early to mid July, on one of these four day combinations: (The 6th to the 8th [Friday to Sunday]), (the 7th to the 9th [Saturday to Monday], or (13th to the 15th [Fri - Sun]) or (14th to the 16th [Sat-Mon]
I suggest everyone pick up google earth and then pick up my map tabs at http://rapidshare.com/files/17292183/Beach_Hike_Trip.kmz.html
this will allow you to see the core of the trip.
Trip breakdown follows:
Day 1 -> Bandon to "New River"
-Park at Bullards Beach campgrounds just north of Bandon.
-Hike ~2.57 miles south to Bandon
(We may park in Bandon depending on the local laws to cut the day's hike down.)
-Hike the remaining ~11.45 miles south to beach camp at "New River"
-Set up beach camp
-Replenish water supplies (filter and boil)
Day 2 -> New River to Sixes River
-Break New River camp
-Hike 8.9 miles to the mouth of the Sixes River
-Make Camp - cross river at low tide
Day 3 -> Sixes River to Port Orford
-Break Camp
-Hike the 1-2 miles to Cape Blanco, enjoy scenic point
-Complete the 9.5 total mile hike to Port Orford
-Meal in diner?
-Ferry back to cars at Bullards Beach or Bandon (depending) via local bus service or Parent volunteer
-Home
John said:
"Is there any interest in a day hike/picnic (maybe as a lead-in to whatever long hikes take place)?"
I'd also be happy to plan a couple of short day hikes, just let me know the interest level and I'll plan that up too.
Post a Comment