Holocene had its fifth birthday yesterday, so i mosey'ed over to see what I had been missing whilst not yet 21. All the bands were Portlanders, and The Shaky Hands are on the Holocene label, to my understanding.
Horse Feathers: Crowd was a little too loud for this, and the guitar was barely audible for half the performance, which made it all the more clear how integral the lead singer's unintelligible but very evocative vocals are to Horse Feathers. The violinist broke out the saw a couple times which was interesting. The new songs weren't too impressive, but then again it sure *looked* like some intricate finger-picking.
Starfucker: These guys are getting the shit hyped out of them, I kinda groaned when they took the stage because the three fellas all look like Brooklyn transplants, and things didn't improve much as they set forth an opening five minutes of noise barrage. But when they got started, it was pretty evident that they could write a helluva dance song. I guess if The Postal Service went a little more organic, and a lot happier, it would sound like this. The bassist/2nd drummer came pogo-ing out into the crowd and bumped into me a couple times. They got a huge ovation and I definitely wish they could have had a longer set.
The Shaky Hands: Gave them a second chance, and I don't know why, but they just don't sound good. Nice guys, fun to watch, but I hit the road after a half dozen songs when some kids from the burbs started moshing way way too hard. A fight kinda broke out and they killed a song and the lead singer was like 'go to a slipknot show man. actually, we're slipknot. we broke up, dumped the masks, and decided to kick it old school. good job.' They actually sounded better outside the club, so I hung out by the windows for a couple songs. Yeah, don't waste your time.
1 comment:
i love slipknot
Post a Comment