Just uploaded The Gaslight Anthem and their The '59 Sound-
A couple years ago, this would have been the kind of pick I feel like I would have to defend. These guys are very not cool in the traditional way bands and musicians are cool. But they're sort of aware of it, which allows them to play jubliant tribute to a youth with a New Jersey soundtrack. This is their second album and it sneaked by without much attention in mid-December, but I'm not sure it would have really gotten a ton of hipsterblog buzz anyway, seeing as how its a pop-punk take on Bruce Springsteen with the same awkward earnestness that graced the Boss's first three records. Pitchfork.tv had a short interview about their patron saint with lead singer Brian Fallon that says more than I could:
Soundtrack to: Scott driving, A walking, senior year Magda, Ian when he's telling you a story, me riding my bike late to class.
Rating: mMMmGravy
ps
One of the reasons I like last.fm a lot is because it kinda gives me a pulse on how much people actually like a band versus how much buzz they are getting. With 'The '59 Sound, one of Pitchfork's senior guys had the guts to give it an 86%, which would ordinarily earn it a 'Best New Music', or at least a 'Recommended,' but instead the editors withheld that (and the bump it would give) and buried the album as the fourth or fifth of the five daily reviews. But if I'm doing my math right, the last.fm playcounts show, on average, every Gaslight Anthem listener has listened to about 50 of their songs, whereas most buzzed bands see about 10 listens per listener. So clearly something hooks people about these guys and their honesty. If I remade my 'Top 5 Bands I Wished I Was In,' they would be in there.
pps
I just yesterday got my hands on their first album and their EP, which are both very good also, a little bit more raw. If anybody wants I can post those too.
2 comments:
AMAZING.
very nice. i like the little counting crows refernce they throw in there. good sound. i usually don't like the whole crooked-fingers-esque vocal distortion thing, but in this case i really enjoyed the way it mixed with the music.
Post a Comment