Friday, February 10, 2012

Favorite Films of 2011

Going to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and The Artist this week fingers crossed. click the link for Scott's a-tad-more-authoritative list.

Missed the cut: The Ides of March

Honorable Mention: The Descendents got to me. feel like I've been to Hawaii

Runner-Up: 50/50 for hosting some great Rogan moments and making Seattle look habitable.

10. Terry: John C. Reilly>Clooney in the head-to-head of lost husbands shipwrecked among youths
9. Drive: Action hasn't looked so good since.....
8. Everything Must Go: Along with Stranger than Fiction, Ferrell reveals himself as a more compelling dramatic lead than Penn
7. Moneyball: feel like I should mention Jonah Hill, if only because I'm shouting out every other schlub I love
6. Another Earth: Gorgeously captures fall, winter and spring in Connecticut. hottest high school janitor ever
------->The Artist<-------
------->Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy<-------
5. Green Hornet: Seth Rogan can deliver a goddamn line. It helps when he writes them.
4. The Muppets: Jason Segel is a boss. you know the through-line of friendships just drifting away unless you work at them got to me.
3. Midnight in Paris: Indulgent yet light on it's feet
2. Tree of Life: too beautiful for words. I wanted to spend ages in the Texas Malick made. would have bought admission for a third time, but I dreaded the Penn scenes. They probably weren't that bad, but when they yank you out of a summer twilight in the 60's that puts Mad Men to shame...
1. Bridesmaids: never laughed so much in a theater AND it dealt with middle-class poverty in a real way.

4 comments:

pat said...

Dude, horrible bosses was funnier than bridesmaids. No love for johnny english 2?

b said...

we are gonna be arguing about this as old men in our hoverchairs.

did you really see Johnny English 2? I was a big Mr. Bean fan as a kid...not sure how it holds up

Scott Nye said...

Hornet POWER. Best superhero film of the year by a country mile (are those longer than city miles? I'll bet they feel that way).

And Bridesmaids was way funnier than Horrible Bosses, though I did like the latter. But Carnage was funnier than both of them.

Didn't see Terri or Everything Must Go, but the only one on here I actively hated was Another Earth.

Malick ftw.

b said...

Country miles are definitely longer.

I remember reading about Carnage when it was making its Broadway debut as God of Carnage, didn't connect the dots until now. I'll definitely check it out asap. it was produced by a guy name "Saïd Ben Saïd"

Pat sends me monthly text reminders that Wiig is not funny. He will not relent. Though he was right about Hall Pass being better than it looked (not a tall order)