Wednesday, January 30, 2013

BEST TV SHOWS OF 2012

Honorable Mention: Children's Hospital

Runner-up: Boardwalk Empire

10. The Good Wife

9. NTSF:SD:SUV::

8. Parks and Recreation

7. Veep

6. 30 Rock

5. Homeland

4. Justified

3. Game of Thrones

2. Mad Men

1. Community

This is actually very similar to my albums list, where 1 and 2 were just light-years ahead of the pack, but neck and neck with each other, at the pinnacle of the medium.  Mad Men will endure longer.  It will be parsed for decades to come.  But Community just makes me so goddamn happy.

ps (controversy!)

Girls- still not sure what I think, but I do know that it is more compelling and funnier than Louie, which is the critical golden calf.

2 comments:

Scott Nye said...

Mine, bearing in mind that I've yet to see Girls, Justified, Homeland, Veep, and will never watch Game of Thrones.

Honorable Mention to Bored to Death, which was cancelled in 2011 but I only recently finished, and The Mindy Project, which is shaky, but is carving out its own particular worldview within the sitcom format.

10. Saturday Night Live
9. Parks & Rec
8. Glee (which would be higher if this were a "most improved" list because holy crap)
7. Community
6. Louie
5. Breaking Bad
4. New Girl
3. 30 Rock
2. Happy Endings
1. Mad Men

I'm kind of in the same boat as you in thinking my 1 and 2 are light-years ahead of the pack, peak of the medium, etc., and glad we agree on the status of Mad Men in that regard (a show that, in addition to its brilliance which will indeed be studied forever and always, is just a pleasure to watch through and through; often the funniest show of a given week). I can only assume you've yet to see Happy Endings because, well, you know...it's not on your list.

And yeah, Louie is brilliant. Beyond classification.

b said...

My disclaimer should have included a failure to catch up on Happy Endings and Breaking Bad. They're both shows that I can't get Steph into, so I've fallen woefully behind. Bored to Death was the same a couple years back. The New Girl has some great talent, but I can't stomach Deschanel to save my life. Except in Elf, and even there it can be touch-and-go.

I've missed several Louie's in each season 2 and 3, so I am not going to stake myself to being a naysayer, but I think it is getting way too much credit for being groundbreaking, iconoclastic, etc. and way too little grief for weak payoffs.