Monday, February 09, 2015

Favorite Singles of 2014


I'm finally fed up with the lack of scale of Top X lists, in that they don't provide the amount of space between 'finishers,' so I'm going to practice setting auction values for our fantasy league up-coming this fall.  With a budget of $200, this is how I'd go about assembling my roster of 2014's radio singles from the flooded market.


11. Paramore "Ain't It Fun" ($1) Very fun, fine power pop.

10. Calvin Harris "Summer" I'm only human. ($2)

9  FKA Twigs "Two Weeks" Love the production so much. ($3)

 8.  Sam Smith "Stay With Me" Dude can sing.  Too bad I'll be hearing it mashed-up with Tom Petty "Won't Back Down" forevermore. ($6)

7. Ariana Grande "Break Free"  I get that she's an automaton.  A damnably good one.  It is pretty refreshing to hear a girl who can actually sing after the yearly standard-lowering has brought us Demi, Selena, Katy, etc. etc. ($10)

6. Tove Lo "Habits" Steph was on this before anyone.  Queasy fun. ($12)

5. Nick Jonas "Jealous" Hate away! ($18)

4. Charli XCX "Boom Clap" Unfortunately she has to keep dumbing herself down for radio hits, but it is worth it, for her and everyone.  Dumb Charli>>>>Smart Katy ($25)

3. Jessie Ware "Say You Love Me" Really hoping she pulls off the Adele/Sam Smith Trans-Atlantic crossover.  ($35)

2.  Coldplay "A Sky Full of Stars" (William Wallace's FREEEEEEEEDOM except from GOOP.) This honestly is a strangely healing song and Martin's sappiness seems extraordinarily well-earned, at last. ($40)

1. Jessie Ware "Tough Love" Unreal. ($50)

No comments: