Sunday, June 05, 2016

Ten Thousand Favorite Songs, v. 34



-looking for a new friend/who's it gonna be?



--My favorite version.  (least favorite is GnR's, which I had to play damn near weekly on my radio show for one historically alcoholic listener, until I finally lied and said we couldn't find the LP.  I don't lie often, but when I do, it is usually extremely low stakes.)  Singers-songwriters post-Dylan have it rough; I think the best ones find an element of him and make it their own.  Zevon perfected the arch-jester version, and doubled-down on it with his extraordinarily polished full band sound, almost like the E Street Band went to art school.  As you can tell, I don't think the man gets enough credit, but I hope now you'll be partisans too.




---worth more than albums of faux americana



---- lock the gates, Goofy, take my hand/and lead me through the World of Self




-----Warren's talent for the mot juste is damn near unparalleled in music.

No comments: