I was gonna post this to my personal blog, but it came out so darned well and I think it allows for some discussion and hardly anybody reads that thing anyway that it's going here instead. Love it.
An interesting phenomenon has developed that I'd kinda been noticing, but was really just pointed out to me. It's about Halloween (how appropriate).
First, somehow Halloween stopped being about dressing up as something cool or scary, and became entirely about being a complete idiot (I keep in mind, of course, the giant beer keg) or a whore (how many dirty nurse, librarian, cheerleader, or Catholic schoolgirl costumes did YOU see this year? never mind that the "cat" costume has developed purely into skimpy dress with some ears, maybe a tail). Props, though, to some of the cool costumes I saw/heard about, including Penny Lane from Almost Famous (never mind this girl pretty much IS Penny Lane to begin with) and a suite who teamed up to become Mortal Kombat.
The other phenomenon is that suddenly Halloween is a rival with St. Patrick's Day for "LET'S GET WASTED!" I can see the connection in a costume party sense, but somehow it just doesn't link up in my sober mind. But that might just be consequence of the aforementioned state of being. That said, I met a girl who really wants me to drink with her, so we'll see where that goes.
But I had a good Halloween weekend. I was sick for the first time this school year, and the first in awhile in general (probably since Footloose), so I stayed in the dorms except for a run for video games and Pizzaria Uno, where me and Ben were promptly hit on by a waitress who, upon discovering we were far younger than she suspected, lept from the seat at the table in which she had planted herself. And I discoverd a system for making Eggos.
In spite of the way that just came out, the Eggos and the fleeing waitress were entirely separate incidents.
Also, it snowed here Saturday, prompting the southerners and Californians to go "play in the snow," though it amounted to no more than wet cement, and in turn didn't help my mission to "Get Well Soon!", though it promptly turned to 65-degree weather THE NEXT DAY.
10 comments:
Halloween in college is a fun practice in debauchery, plain & simple. The costume allows most a feeling of anonymity and a decrease in inhibition. At the same time, they want to stand out and be noticed for their costume. It doesn't seem ridiculous that we drink on Halloween (and many others use plenty of other recreational drugs to spike the event). Take a look at the history of Halloween in other college towns (special note: University of Wisconsin - Madison). I've noticed that party size ebbs and flows according to the day of the week Halloween lands on. There's much more hooplah when it lands on a Thurs, Fri, or Sat. So for the rest of your college carrier, it'll be during the week.
I find it very distressing this Ben is mentioned in your away messages and now your blog post. I feel unloved. I was there for you Freshman year of high school Scott Nye, when you had no one! And now you trade me in for some East Coast hussy? I thought I knew you.
Unless of course he is a character in an elaborate mental illness you have, a la John Nash, in which case I find it endearing.
post script
At least at Notre Dame, it's basically just that drinking would occur whether or not there was Halloween, Halloween just gives a good theme to parties that would happen anyway. Maybe Stewsday is right, but I don't think the day of the week could stop Domers from dressing up and getting wasted, they're flexible as to the day as long as the proper libations are provided.
post post script
Score! I used the word libations.
A fair point that they'd be drinking anyway...there just seemed to be a spike this weekend, and the phrase "Of course there'll be a party...it's Halloween" was used aplenty (of course, when it comes up, I often use the phrase "of course there's a party...it's Friday").
And actually, I have been debating whether or not to use "Emerson Ben" and "Ben Vincent"...so y'know, haven't TOTALLY forgotten about ya.
Then I ask forgiveness on my characterization of cat costumes. It came to my attention when the exact characterization of that was sitting in my friend's room Saturday night.
And my dad would probably take offense to the Bambi's mom costume. He has an only-slightly-explanable attachment to that movie. I'm not even sure if "explanable" or "attachment" are words, or can be used like that...but regardless.
Refer to me as Benjamin David in a really aristocratic tone when you're talking to people in Boston. And call him Emerson Ben on this here blog, if you don't mind. I am quite sensitive.
My favorite costume I saw was while waiting in line for Rocky Horror. Somebody dressed up as an AT AT walker. It was AMAZING!! I think I got a good picture of it.
As for the sluty outfit thing, I was talking to my friend Jenny about it earlier. We agreed that it is enjoyable for girls to dress up skankyish because you can dress up in a costume any day of the week, and all you'll get is a few odd looks. But if you dress up like a playboy bunny or some fairy tale girl gone slutishly wrong, you get the odd looks, but you also get the disgusted looks. You see what I'm trying to say? Man, I've got to learn how to articulate my thoughts better...
Anyway, I like Halloween. Party on trick or treaters.
Ha well you all may have your college halloweens but let me tell you halloween in a hospital is where it's at. I wasa up there for 8 hours today and I got tons of candy, although I am sure most college students are interested in other substances than candy.
Anyway the point is if you got to a hospital every nurse you see is like "here have some candy" and in every department there are big bowls of candy at the nurses stations; I loaded in dialysis, radiation, on the room floor, in the social worker's office, etc.
Anyway it was pretty sweet plus nurses come up with best costumes, although it would worry me if a zombie was putting my IV but whatever floats their boat I guess.
Penn's president, Amy Gutmann, threw a Halloween party at her mansion house. It was decorated like Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. A person dressed as Willy Wonka walked towards us offering Wonka bars and only when she was 2 feet away from me did I realize it was Amy herself. That was kind of creepy. There were all sorts of candies, several types of choclate pudding, a fountain in the middle of the lawn that was colored to look like chocolate, cotton candy, flavored soda, and really rich hot chocolate. The best part though was this table on which sat a fountain of real chocolate with cakes and strawberries and pretzels and other sweet things surrounding it that you could skewer and stick under the hot flowing chocolate and eat. It was amazing. Ah, the perks of going to an Ivy League school.
Whoa, did not mean for what I said to come off as this whole tyrant against everybody. It was just an observation meant in jest...
So once again, and once and for all, sorry to anyone who thought I was attacking them for their Halloween choices. You're all entitled.
Just take a deep breath, I would never say anything to offend or hurt any of you.
Scott's right. And on that note, I think we should have another Halloween party when we're all together during Christmas Break! Don't forget those costumes, ladies.
Post a Comment