[I have only read East of Eden, Mice and Men, and Grapes of Wrath. I hear Cannery Row and The Pearl are good. I also hear birds.]
This is a fun little bit of a book with good heart and its own lacksadaisical little world to get lost in. Apparantly, though I wouldn't have guessed it, its loosely based around the Knights of the Round Table. It tells of the lives of a group of rascally friends in Tortilla Flat, just outside of Monteray, California after World War I. They have some pretty amusing and unscrupulous antics, but make each other into better men as they share a small home and their lives, as if Huck Finn, Tom Sawyer and their gang got to live together forever. Its the best, the humblest, I ever seen Steinbeck write, with a tender affection for these characters and their exploits as if he was the bemused guardian angel taking care of them that he mentions once in the book. You could read it in one day, easily in two, and you won't regret doing it.
3 comments:
it is a very sad thing but i have not read any steinbeck. poor grapes of wrath has been sitting on my shelf for a long long time unloved. except for yeah i did read of mice and men but i'm pretty sure i had to and that doesn't count it's like the only hemingway book i've read is the old man and the sea, thing is i really like the one day books.
confession: i sometimes judge books by their covers. (although one day i'm gonna design a book cover and everyone's gonna wanta read it, you'll see.)
Not only that, but tortillas are flat. Wild.
tortilla flat is one of my top five favorite books, and definitely top steinbeck of the five that I have read
Post a Comment