Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Ten Thousand Favorite Songs, v. 83



-bless you Prince Valiant



--as a kite



---i'll cop to not investigating BJ's oeuvre at all, hate all the other radio standards from him.  but sang this with some groomsmen recently, and in our fractalized age it is undeniably great to have something to unite us, disparate though we are.



----he's like a funhouse mirror bizarro warren zevon damn I would sell pints of plasma to get my hands on that rhinestone rose jacket



-----hold on while I add this to my Christmas playlist.  Also, STRANGER THINGS is a Christmas TV show.  I have a very low barrier to entry.  If I see Christmas lights or hear it mentioned, it's in.

4 comments:

Scott Nye said...

I hate myself for loving Billy Joel. All his songs are about how awesome he is. He's either the coolest guy in town all the chicks wanna get with or the last comfort for the hopeless or the most thoughtful and contemplative man in western civilization or just plain born in the best generation ever. I hate him so much. But when "Uptown Girl" comes on I can't stop grooving. I'm so dumb.

b said...

I guess I'm a sucker for She's Always a Woman also. Thrillingly, irrepressibly schlocky. There's a certain amount of cheese that becomes like cold fusion, self-justifying and tremendous. I don't think we're dumb, just honest. He's kind of the idiot king of song-arranging and sub-ALW lyrics.

It's Still Rock and Roll to Me is a heinous crime tho.

Scott Nye said...

Summer of....I'm gonna say '05-'06, I'm driving into downtown Portland, waiting at a traffic light, blasting "Still Rock and Roll to Me" (because I'm dumb). These two dudes pull up to me and go "YO!" I turn and look at them like "wassup?" And one of them yells "hey what's that, Jimmy Buffett?" And I'm like "nope." And they're like "oh okay!" and we all drive off.

b said...

it seems like a peculiarly Portland interaction--abrupt (sometimes startling) start to conversation, weird question/request, ambiguous ending. It took growing up and going back to be like "Oh! You're all stoned and/or drunk. This makes sense now." I remember a lot of weird dudes coming up and playing a couple minutes of basketball with my brothers in our driveway. not creepsters, just lackadaisical white guys, wandering around.

Billy and Jimmy don't share much aside from doofy everyman energy, managing to conquer their own portion of the pop kingdom. Is it still viable for non-handsome dudes in pop? Ed Sheeran is the only example I can think of. and that dude BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWS