Saturday, November 17, 2018

SORRY TO BOTHER YOU dir. Boots Riley (2018)



I absolutely love where its heart is; with the people who are slowly being reduced like a goddamn red wine sauce into perfectly useful and toothless employees+customers. A citizen without a vote is a captive.



I think it suffers from Mr. Riley overstuffing it with fury to the point of perfervid overindulgence. The sci-fi third act might give it legs to a younger, possibly more male demographic, and maybe he intends it more as a wake-up call to them. Which would make sense, as I and ineffectual leftists like me already agree with nearly everything he has to say.



I think the supporting performances give the film the grace and nuance it so sorely needs. Tessa Thompson, Danny Glover, Steven Yeun, and Jermaine Fowler round out the Oakland that is maybe five years of T**** administration away.



If agitprop (meant with kindness) was the goal, I guess it was successful. If incisive commentary with sophisticated humor was the promise, I've got a set of books to sell you.

No comments: