Thursday, November 29, 2018

THE LOVE WITCH dir. Anna Biller (2016)



Watched this around Halloween and still thinking about it. (Also watched Halloween for the first time.  So good!)



Shot in this incredible throwback style, with the stylized-stilted acting of a Bewitched or I Dream of Jeannie.



Set theoretically in present-day, but a sort of brew of the present back through the Sixties, which allows examination of the ebb and flows of the different waves of feminism, and their results, additive or not.



Elaine is a survivor turned predator who crushes men like Lenny in Of Mice and Men.



Funny, weird, creepy: I wish I'd gotten around to recommending when it was more seasonally appropriate, but I didn't know quite how to wrap my head around it. David Bax of Battleship Pretension wrote it up better than I can, and it made his top ten of 2016.



The creator is a strange cat herself, an art school autodidactic filmmaker whose significant other is one of those 50 Laws of Power! and 33 Leverage Positions!! kind of authors that rappers like.



The production design for this self-funded film is damned admirable.



I have a strict don't-drink-from-enormous-red-goblets rule.



Damn fellas, gotta practice goblet awareness.

No comments: