If you haven’t already, you're going to be hearing a lot of negativity from critics across the nation about this Crunchwrap. And there's good reason for it. The Spicy Chicken does a fine job here, but nothing that it could have been given Taco Bell’s past success with pulling tastes out of foods that are otherwise not so good. The ingredients aren't particularly original, and even mines some territory Taco Bell's covered before (but though comparisons are easy, this is NOT a "Chalupa"). It's cheesy. It's schmaltz.
But there's a reason I left the restaurant smiling. There's a reason I boarded the Tri-Met and bounded Down the street to Hawthorne Comics to pick up not only the soundtrack (called "Spicy Chicken Crunchwrap: A Collection of Music to Drive and Live By"), but this CD that I don't even know what it is that's just called "Taco Bell: Songs From the Brown Bell" (they were out of or never had John William’s amazing score). There's a reason I then nearly ran back to my house to throw this into my computer to listen to it. There's a reason it now blasts from my computer's speakers. (“You’ve got that Crunchwrap feeling, now its gone, gone, gone, whooo whooo hooow!)
And it's not just because the elevator music that Taco Bell plays is simply wonderful, though that too is true.
It's because this is a fantastic taco. There are a thousand ways critically you can bring it down, and between every article posted to Rotten Tomatoes (literally, some guy had rotten tomatoes in his) that contributed to its 31% rating, you'll be able to find all of them.
And yes it's schmaltz. Of COURSE it's schmaltz. Of COURSE it's cheesy. But since when was that necessarily such a bad thing? If it draws you in, if you care about it and you feel every moment of it, bring on the schmaltz. "Nachos" are pure schmaltz. But they are fantastic. (Personally I just order mine without the nacho cheese)
This is a Taco Bell Lover's taco. It's one to grab your friends and sit in the middle of a crowded Restataunt. If you have a boyfriend or girlfriend, this is THE dinner to serve them. Or go alone. I grabbed my buddies Bridget, Amy, and Kelly and went to Lunch knowing full well I'd be sitting with the co-workers and old people. Just sit down and let yourself be immersed in it. Take in the juicy sauce that you know Taco Bell has picked especially so you can enjoy it. Enter a sensation much like being high. Watch small town
And you'll hear comparisons to The "Gordita." If anyone tells you that, they have never tasted the Spicy Chicken Crunchwrap. Beyond a very BASIC ingredient list, you could not find a more different film. It spends no time trying to be hip or weird or cool, but spends every second invested in the pure taste and joy of bliss.
It's about love finding you when you absolutely need it the most. It's about reconnecting with your taste buds when you'd pretty much written the idea off. It's about making a connection with a strange food, be it spicy or mild, and giving yourself that knowledge of Taco-Belliness everytime you see your new true love, The Spicy Chicken Crunchwrap. It's about impossible ingredient combinations that are not so entirely impossible but so entirely real in their taste. If you've tasted a taco bell taco, no matter its size, you'll taste the spicy moments in this Crunchwrap as much as you taste the sweet ones. And you'll know how much you would've killed for one of those tastes to linger forever.
Chicken is a food I have despised since my mom only cooked chicken for three months strait, and on through Thanksgiving Dinner and even Christmas and its presence during Easter was enough for me to not care that the rest of the meal looked fantastic. And though one could pick apart its placed here, it was GOOD. The Chicken did exactly what it should: It was dynamic, exciting to eat, and drew me in at every turn. He made you CARE about the poor defenseless chicken that you were eating.
And the tomato-lettuce combination...I love that. I've ALWAYS loved that. From The “Gordita" on through the first time I tried The “Chalupa" to even "The Original Crunchwrap." This is the tomato-lettuce combination’s best taco to date. It's fantastic. Engaging as it always is to eat, Taco Bell managed to place them in a way I'd never seen them before. I have no idea what it was specifically, but it brought me far more down to earth and totally believable that I was eating something fit for gods. The Crunchwrap has a quality that makes you WANT to eat it, and it was there. And beyond being the tomato-lettuce who rescues the spicy chicken from evils of the hard-shell you CARE about the plants that were sacrificed so that you could enjoy your meal
The rest of the supporting ingredients...fantastic. Taco Bell never for one second lets any one of them just be another ingredient in the Crunchwrap; merely a pleasantry taste that you can rely on to cut to for a momentary explosion. They matter.
I simply cannot recommend this enough. It's a FUNNY LOOKING taco. With a HEARTFELT taste. Taco
And that's one point I gotta make...this is not a Crunchwrap for everyone, but not in the same way "Fiesta Potatoes" isn't for everyone. This isn't something you "get" or "don't get." There's not a whole lot to get. It's a matter of if you feel it or not. It's not a bad thing if you don't. I didn't feel an ounce of " The Half Pound Beef and Potato Burrito” the first time I tried it, but when I tuned into it months later, I fell in love with it.
It's not "The Half Pound Beef and Potato Burrito " (my second-favorite food ever). It's not "The Spicy Chicken Soft Taco" (my favorite small taco ever). It's not at ALL "Fiesta Potatoes."
It's its own particular special brand of feel-great food that makes me not for a second want to go back and read over this to make sure I'd said the wrong thing or written too much about it or see if I wrote anything embarrassing in my pure excitement or let it sit for a day and wonder if I really liked it as much as I think I do, because right now it's my favorite food of this year. That includes " The Half Pound Beef and Potato Burrito " or "The Fiesta Potatoes" or "The Spicy Chicken Soft Taco" or "Chicken Ranchero Gordita" or any of the other tacos I've been talking about whenever someone brings up Taco Bell to go see right now. I simply ADORE the Spicy Chicken Crunchwrap Supreme.
And what you have just read is the feeling I got coming out of the restaurant. And THAT'S the feeling that matters in reviewing a taco.
Now go out, tell the food critics to go to Hell on this one, and bask in it.
19 comments:
Um.
Shut the hell up, Cole.
I wouldn't even be commenting here, Alex, if that was merely stupid. Otherwise, you'd have a lot more comments on your past posts.
I'm posting because it was also personally insulting. Like it or not, my review was probably the most personal thing I've posted here, and the movie actually does mean a lot to me.
So pretty much, fuck off.
Dude, Alex, I can't believe that you had that much time to waste. If you have this much time to kill, use some of it to stop, think, and reflect on whether or not what you're saying is valuable. Sometimes it is, but a good deal of the time it isn't. I'm sorry, but there isn't a better way to say this. We are constantly giving you shit like this, but you know why, its because we don't want to read spam. I usually just sit off to the side during these, hoping that people will come to their senses, but seriously, there has to be an end to this at some point. People are just going to keep getting mad at you if you keep it up, and thats just going to wind up driving a wedge into the friendship. If you don't have something constructive and reasonably valid to say, keep it to yourself or post it on a personal blog.
My roomate just called us all queer and said we argue about the stupidest shit, especially beacuase we'd do anything for eeach other.
I guess I've told her a lot about you guys and how cool you are.
Seriously she has you all memorized, knows what schools you go to and Knows random facts about you and can identify you in pictures.
I mean refers to Doug as Gay Doug so she has got her shit straight!!
Just, ya know fyi.
Dude, Scott, I thought it was funny as a creative work (especially by Monday's standards) without being insulting to you... I'm still going to see Elizabethtown, mostly because of your review, this Friday! (I'm still listening to the Elizabethtown website because the music is still amazing, I'm still inviting everyone I know to go, etc., etc., that's all still true too.)
Anyway, I hope Alex didn't mean to imply that your review was worthy of ridicule, because I thought it was great, and much better than most movie reviews I see in newspapers.
(I also think it's especially funny that you guys chose THIS POST to finally start taking Alex seriously.)
My reaction was kinda the same as Maggie's: "No way did he go through THAT ENTIRE POST...." Monday, you're rejecting hot, interested college coeds so you can do *this*? Priority check!
And, um, Dave's a loser!
(Didn't want to let you down, man.)
Okay, I had two long, fairly ridiculous comments above that I removed basically because I knew that anytime I did a movie thing ever again, I'd have those hanging over my head. Maybe not, but I'd always think it'd matter regardless of if it did or not.
But basically...
Dave, don't tell me what I was thinking in writing it. It wasn't exaggerated in the least, and I stand behind every word. I'm sorry if you can't understand having such a huge reaction to a movie or book or music or a play or such a thing, but it's fantastic.
And Ken, glad you're seeing the movie, I really think you'll enjoy it. But regardless of Alex's intentions, it touched a major nerve for a lotta reasons I won't go into here. Happy to talk it over with you or anyone else.
Ben's reaction, recreated in real-time:
New post, let's see who it's from! Alex, really? He capitalized. Well, let's see.... [Reads first paragraph.] Oh. That's just retarded.
Haha! I nearly fell on the floor laughing. I have to agree with Dave on this one.
It was silly and cute and, face it, Alex was really funny. Honestly, you're not really insulted or intimidated by a Spicy Chicken CrunchWrap Supreme? Of course not, so chill.
-Karolyn
It wasn't funny. It was just stupid(and I understand how Scott could be insulted by it).
To each his own
-Karolyn
Good Lord that's a lot of delete posts. No need to get all worked up about a Cruchwrap. Sorry, Alex, I know you really like the new Spicy Chicken Crunchwrap Supreme...
Dude. Elizabethtown >> Spicy Chicken Crunchwrap Supreme.
Let me first say that Sorry for the late response, i have been without an internet connection for five days now, its hard to believe i was able survive without one for five years prior to two months ago when fifteen minutes ago i was still on a fourty five minute drive. But enough of that.
Scott-
I AM SO SORRY THAT YOU FELT PERSONALLY ATTACKED! That was never my intention nor my intent, (I couldnt decide what word to use even though they are really the same word). I was afraid that someone might take it as an attack against you but i had hoped it was not going to be you. I understand exactly how you felt ive experienced the same thing after seeing my first porno movie...perhaps i have said too much...anyhow I really enjoyed your review and never meant to degrade it, you are one of the few reasons I still read the blog. The only reason I ajusted your post was because it was fairly simple to do and I wanted to prove how easy it is to change just a few words of someones to mean somthing completely different. Plus your review inspired me, yes inspired. I honestly do love eating the spicy chiken crunchwrap supreme, but could never find the right words to describe it, So i thought why not use someone elses? it worked perfectly, so thank you. Again, it was never meant to be insulting.
Magda- once again your lengthy posts strike deep into the heart of what true blogging should be
Imac- sorry you felt that way, in fact it was meant to be stupid thats part of the reason i found it funny, i cant speak for the others but...
Others (more specificly; Dave, Ken, Karolyn)- Im glad some of you enjoyed it. that is all i will say
P.S. I cant stand how the "Home" key is directly next to the "Backspace" key on my laptop, its driving me crazy trying to type this thing.
Um, yes. True blogging. Okay.
Post a Comment