Sunday, May 01, 2005

EVERYBODY CUT, FOOTLOOSE! [awkward pause] YEAH!

Wow I thought ben would have posted this immediately, and here I am without internet access doing it, irony, I think not! no seriously I don't think there is any irony at all.

If anyone doesn't know, Friday Night's performance was perhaps the most exciting and unbelivable show I have ever been a part of, this trumps everything!

So the show starts out like normal, and its all cool, and stuff. Okay I'll get to the point. Durring the first set change the actors are pushing the VW bug back into its parking space and I am backstage waiting for it so that I can help guide it in. Well the car is half way back and then the actors all scater so there I am trying to pull the damn thing by myself. Ben is quickly there and helps be pull it in. Well to our best guess durring the few seconds that the Bug was not moving, We believe that one of the wheels got ontop of the up-stage black [curtain] and the fly crew began to fly it out creating a large hole in the bottom of it roughly two-three feet long.

After Intermission eveything Drew Cotton (the lead if knowone knew that) collapses into a chair in the blackbox in intense pain. Apparently his back was killing him. He was not able to hardly move. I walk back into the blackbox so that I can drop off the mics and there he is surounded by a crowd unable to get up. I immediatly run on stage, and Tell Scott (the stage manager) that Drew is in intense pain. Scott does a double take and says, "who?!". He runs into the BB to check on him when he returns he reveals that Drew might live but formulates a plan in case Drew Collapses on stage. The next scene is not too physicly demanding for Drew, but he maneges through it, then he has to climb the railroad bridge and that was painful. After a while we all realize that he will be able to finish the show. That is if the show was going to finish.

Oh no, the best was yet to come. Kent (Minister Shaw) is in the middle of his big solo about his son, when all hell broke loose. I was sitting behind the cyc ready to bring the electrical cord in for Ben on the Church, when I heard the sirens. I looked up and saw all the lights flashing, then I hear a recorded man's voice saying something like, "There has been an emergency reported in your building, please evacuate to the nearist stairwell and doors." So then I hear Kent just keep on singing, and a loud murmur from the cast and audience. realizing what is going on (the fire alarm is going off) I jump up and run to the double wide doors. I quickly pull the two wide open (Thank god that the fire door didn't fall on someone). I herd the actors out the doors and motion them down to the far door exiting into the executive parking lot. Scott had lowered the grand drape and got the rest of the actors out the other side. I led about 20 actors out the back as well as a few tech crew. Then just as the actors are offstage Jeff comes bareling through the hallway running toward the main office. He is able to shut it off, and quickly returns saying, "It wasn't our building!" I motion the actors back into the building and back to the stage. Jeff makes an anouncement and the show goes on. When the grand drape goes up kent is on the stage by himself again and there is huge cheering and excitement.

Oh but the night wasn't over yet. As Kent is finishing up his solo, I ambackstage with just about no one else, and I see Mrs. Satterburg opening up the far door from the Executive parking lot. She is followed by three firemen in full gear and they run for the loby. I'm like "oh crap, there not going to disrupt the show are they?" So I run as fast as I can for the stage door and grab the headset from Maura. I say, "Scott, Scott are you there?" Scott's like, "What's up?" And I say " The Fire department just showed up, Mrs. Satterburg is takeing them into the loby." Scott does another double take, what a hard night for him. He responds with "I'm on my way"(just like a super hero) and I can see him on the other side take off running.

then the fun came. Explaing everything to Jeff. He tells us that someone pulled the fire alarm next to the sacristy in the lobby. So keep your ears open, because we'ed all love to find out who did this.

best night, EVER!

4 comments:

Ken Colwell said...

Jeez, no one in the audience on Friday had any idea Drew was hurting. I was already impressed with his acting, but that's pretty much amazing.

Adrianna said...

Katie, I was directly underneath that thing when it was shaking. I almost crapped my pants. And then I realized I had just pushed 8 actors beneath it too.

I need new underwear.

Okay no not really, but it was scary.

Shinekaze said...

Heh, I was downstage to recieve the Stage Right pew... and i hear a tinkling noise, I assumed that they had crashed the car into the upstage platform and broken lights... but no it was much worse... it was the freaking truss...

Ken Colwell said...

hey, I interviewed every person in the audience on the way out, and like I said already, no one in the audience knew that drew was hurting.

and also, the firemen thought Drew did great too.