Tuesday, November 02, 2004

ELECTION WATCH 2004

Hey all,

Little Election Watch over here on The Gravy...as of typing this, no one has any clue.

MSNBC has it at 246 to 207, and CNN has it at 246 to 196 (they haven't given Washington to Kerry), both with President Bush in the lead. Head over to their websites for specifics.

Comments so far...85 electoral votes to go, so the game isn't over yet. Bush took Florida according to both, and all night MSNBC has been saying that we wouldn't know that 'til Thursday. Ohio looks to be the big one, though, but Minnesota and Wisconsin (10 votes each) are gonna have a bigger role in this than people think. Both have Kerry in a lead, but just barely in Wisconsin. And Michigan, with their 17 votes, has Kerry in the lead as well.

But Ohio is the one to watch. That's the Florida this year.

I'll be back with more later...I like pretending that I'm reporting on anything.

11 comments:

Nancy said...

msnbc just gave ohio to bush to make his count 269 :/

Scott Nye said...

Yeah, that blew...the second I posted it all changed.

CNN has it Bush 249, Kerry 196. One of the commentator folk on MSNBC pointed out that exit polls tell you very little. All kindsa stuff going on.

So yeah, that's CNN's count as of now, when I'm going to bed. MSNBC is, as Nancy said, putting Bush as the winner with 269 to Kerry's 207. One channel I was flipped past had Kerry with 211. Who even knows. My guess right now is that it'll be Friday at the earliest. I hope it'll be earlier, but with absentee ballots and all that, it's unlikely we'll know for sure 'til at least then.

So yeah, screw objectivity...this really blows. And all you Bush supporters: I hope you're the first ones drafted.

Misha said...

Hmmm...yeah, I'm watching the coverage. It doesn't look so good for Bush. It's a good thing I'm not a big Bush hater, or I would be very upset. I would rather Kerry won, but sigh...
Different channels are saying different things, so I don't know what to think now. This is not over yet. We just dont know yet.

Misha said...

Kudos to Scott and I for staying up so very late discussing and watching election coverage. I think we rock...yes, it is certian.

Scott Nye said...

If there's one thing that's certain this election, it is indeed that we rock.

Hey, as a note...CBS is saying it's 249 to 242. Could NBC have given away Ohio too early? Well, yeah, that's really possible, since NBC reeeaaaaaly loves to be the first with the scoop.

With roughly 175,000 provisional ballots (ballots given to people whose names weren't on the list at the booth) waiting to be counted in Ohio, most of which I'm gonna assume would go to Kerry, this could be a lot more intersting than originally thought.

But one thing is for sure...it's nearly midnight, and misha and I press onward...we rule.

Misha said...

Ok Scott...so before my computer battery dies, what did we decide? (besides we rock)
Ohio--Kerry
New Mexico--Bush
Iowa--either or
Wisconson--Kerry
Nevada--Bush?
Well, I'm not as confident on the Ohio situation as Scott is, but he is pretty sure, so I will go along.

Scott Nye said...

A message from a friend of mine in North Carolina:
"Look at America. They care more about abortion and gay marriage than they care about actual issues like job loss, environmental policies, and the fake war in Iraq. Without God and religion, we would have celebrated a Kerry victory hours ago.

I am embarrassed to go to school in the south."

He congratulated Oregon on our wisdom.

Okay, so, woke up this morning, remembered I'm running off four hours of sleep, then switched on the TV. MSNBC and Fox are both saying, as they were last night "well, as soon as we get word from Kerry, we can declare Bush the winner."

Here's what happened while you slept:

CBS (who, near as I can figure, has no national morning show) is still saying Ohio is far from decided. Nevada has gone to Bush according to them. They have the race at 254 for Bush, 242 for Kerry.
http://election.cbsnews.com/election2004/

MSNBC is sticking to Kerry being way behind, while not giving Nevada to Bush or New Hampshire to Kerry. They have it at 269 for Bush, 238 for Kerry.

The most interesting number is none other than CNN's. They gave Nevada to Bush, but are saying Wisconsin (which I've been saying was Kerry's all through last night) to Kerry. That puts the race in a deadlock at 254 for Bush, 252 for Kerry.

According to CNN, only New Mexico, Iowa, and Ohio are left. Bush is leading in all three, but I'm holding out and saying with 175,000 provisional ballots left to be counted, Ohio is way too close to call.

So the prediction for this morning...

NEW MEXICO (5 electoral votes) - Bush
IOWA (7 electoral votes) - Bush
OHIO (20 electoral votes) - Kerry

Which would land Kerry as the winner. This is pure guesswork, but it's based largely on the Republican attempt to not let Kerry supporters vote, meaning a HUGE percentage, if not all, of the provisional ballots should go to Kerry. The Democrats learned their lesson after 2000...if they're smart, they'll take this all the way.

Later tonight I'll break down the state measures, which me and Misha went over last night and...well...it's not pretty. Suffice to say, the Christians got their way.

Scott Nye said...

Sorry, I forgot to provide links for the other two sources...

MSNBC:
www.msnbc.com

CNN:
http://www.cnn.com/

Pretty obvious, I suppose.

Misha said...

I haven't given up hope yet. Sure the Christians have screwed up this election, but I will stay strong behind Kerry untill it is actually over. That's all.

PS Pat, I know you are hurting about the gay marriage thing...but don't worry, they will make an ammendment to ammend that ammendment soon enough and you can continue your way of life in peace.

PPS No, that is not bashing the other side. On a side note however, if the army knows your sexual prefrence Pat, maybe you won't have to go to war...

Shakeer said...

Thanks Scott, I appreciate the analysis/commentary.

If you have some free time, do stop by Misunderestimated. I just posted a number of election-related posts you may find interesting.

Nancy said...

Way to be blunt Pat.