Thursday, November 11, 2004

On the status and developement of the blog...

This started out as a reply to KTBZ, but it quickly spiraled out of control and now needs its own topic.

KT, in responce to your comment about Dave editing your post, there is no "quick fix" and that will always be the problem with the "RandomAmigos" account. When multiple people have the password, multiple people can edit the post. Obviously, you can reedit it, and Ben and I can edit it too, but "kicking" dave from the account (or anyone else who has the password) is impossible.

Which is a perfect segway into something that's been on my mind (at least, vaguely on my mind) for a little while: we need to ensure there is no fear of shenanigans (sp), especially with that particular account. An accurate list of who has what password should be maintained and no one should share the password to their account without absolute trust in the person they're sharing it with, as the recipiet can take over an account. As a side note, KT, you could possibly change the password to RandomAmigos, just be sure to tell Ben and all other legitimate posters what it is.


(Another Note: At the least, it should be against the "rules" to edit others posts, particuarly without commenting as to why said post was edited. IE, it would be ok in cases where something is being filtered out of a sense of maintaining public decency. ;D)

As a third note, concern has been expressed to me over controling the quality of posting. While I am not particularly worried (after all, anything Ben or I find TOO evil/bad/nasty or just plain pathetic can mysteriously vanish in the night...heh, we wouldn't do that without a good reason though ;D), I think there may be a valid point there. I'm curious as to all of your opinions: should there be controls over who can post "frontpage" topics? Possibly some sort of selection commitee that reviews potential and current posters to ensure posting remains of a worthy quality to be associated with the blog? What our are goals for the blog (do we have any?)? If this is merely a side venture for fun, it probably doesn't matter so much, but if this blog is aspiring to a higher level of readership/literary quality we might want to be pickier about such things, particularly as it continues to grow. Note that most of these are simply questions I'm interested in your responces in, not neccessarily opinions I hold.

So the basic question is this: are your thoughts on the current status/future of this blog, on whether we should have more controls over posting, on whether there should be stricter "rules" governing the blog, or on anything else you think relates.

Forgive me for writing this while very tired but I did just wake up and wanted to post before I forgot. I might edit this for content/quality later.

-JB

PS I want a review of the Death Cab concert, people! Post all the reviews under one thread for order's sake, but I want all of you to give your opinion and unique version of events. Then I can live it vicariously through you! Yay! :D

4 comments:

Shakeer said...

I think you guys should still try to expand the teams contest. Instead of having one screenname with a whole bunch of people, try and spread a bunch of people over a bunch of screennames. The team concept was working pretty well but you've still got a number of one person users left over. If you could shove more people into each of those groups or combine some of them, that would probably avoid a few problems down the line.

Scott Nye said...

The only "quality-control" I would do, and I've said this since day one, is not fill up the blog with a buncha people talking about how their day went. Or any other posts where people are clearly posting just 'cause they're bored. This being a team blog, it makes more sense (at least to me) that way. The one-person blogs are great for sharing how your day went, all that kinda stuff. But this blog...there's just too many people. We've been pretty good about it, though, especially since the old days (yay! we have old days!)

Shakeer said...

and by team contests I meant concepts.

b said...

First of all, the Random Amigos was a temporary thing and I'm not really worried about terrible things happening. The main idea was that it was for people who would hardly ever post, like Joe V., but wanted the capability anyway. Kind of a catch all. Dave's thing was probably as far as fraud is ever gonna go, and that wasn't that bad.(The capitilization was a dead giveaway) I will try to get teams expanded when I have the time, probably Christmas break. Hold on until then dear bloggers.

On a different note, I am not worried about content quality at all. Probably because I know that I would be the first one booted if we started scrutinizing everyone. We all have our own style and that can be our greatest strength. Not everybody can be a movie reviewer like Scott, sports guy like Pat, or hilariously random like Adrianna. If someone feels like posting about their day, I for one, will read.

post script
Katie, if you put together a team, such as you, Nancy, and Maggie or something else I will gladly put you guys on and then there won't be any worry about somebody messing with your post. I wish everybody could just have their own name, but blogger can't handle our immense popularity.