Sunday, November 14, 2004

Encounter

Hey all! Well, the encounter is over and we're all feelin the love (everyone on this profile. I.E. Alex, Cory, and I). It was an absolutely amazing encounter. I didn't believe it was possible but I got twice as much out of this encounter than I did on the last encounter. And I got a lot out of my first encounter. The experience was definitely different and, for me, was less about the huge rush of love but more of a silent contemplative change. Though the love was definitely there. That being said, I had a blast. I have over 50 pictures, which I will pick the best from and show to you guys when they come in. My small group, consisting of Luc Artiaz, Matt Smith, Sam Waibel, Chris Peterson, and Mr. Yanosy, rocked (I don’t think that is the correct spelling). To start off with, I know a lot of you have Mr. Yanosy as a teacher and that he is known as being pretty strict, but to us he was incredible. He was a great addition to our small group and I wouldn't ask for anyone else to be the in my group. He was open, kind, funny, and just over all a great guy. All the others were beyond amazing, and I’ll be brief, but I love them all and I am so glad I had them for small group members. Over all, the encounter rocked incredibly. All my fellow leaders and I had a blast not only with each other but also with the juniors too. Many a games of ping-pong and foosball were played this weekend, some of which are still at large (Matt Galati and I have a very intense unfinished match up of foosball. Its one game to one game right now). Though the most strikingly entertaining memory (pat you'll like this) is when a few of the seniors got in a wrestling match with one of the alumni. Now the first time we all just ran and he hunted Jack down and eventually, after a great deal of struggling, I pinned him to the wall with my legs so he couldn't breathe with the help of Andrew Randals and Jack. We stole his shoe and ran off. Then, when we were hiding in the senior’s only room with the door locked Andrew had the great idea to open the door with no chain (that’s how we locked it) to see if he was out there. Of course he jumped in, grabbed Andrew and pinned him against the bed. Now, at about this point I jumped in and it ended with everyone else stopping while he had me in a headlock and his other arm trapping my legs (I’m around his back). It was VERY painful, yet fun. Now understand this guy is like 230 pounds and quite strong and I, while possessing some upper body strength (though not a lot) am 140, so I’m not exactly a match for him. So while I was in pain everyone watched and had a good ole' time till he got his shoe back and released me. Ironically, IT WAS SO FUN! The second memory is of Colin Krum of 02' dispensing his great knowledge of college to us youngsters. Learned a great many things I did, some of which I did not necessarily need or want to know. Yet it was great. Of course there are a ton other memories and inside jokes but I’ll leave those to later or just to remain with the encounter group. But, overall, I had a great time and I urge all of you who are considering going as a leader to do it, cause it rocks. I'm sure every person who went has other intense stories such as these, and Cory and Alex will probably post some of their own. In closing I would just like to say I love all of you. It’s been a rough year so far, but I really feel at home here with everyone and I’m glad that I have you all as friends. Thanks to all of you and VIVA NME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jeff
NME 03' and 04'

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I'd just like to say that it's really nice having the posts back at the top of the screen again...

Oh and congrats on a successful weekend! Can't wait to see you guys tomorrow, hopefully I won't completely collapse from fatigue.