Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Kids these days

Hey, so, tonight I was backstage, y'know, workin' the show (The Spitfire Grill...please come see it, I don't think you'll regret it), when I leaned over to Spencer and mentioned that the opening to one of the songs sounds kinda like a creepy opening to like an Ozzy song or something, y'know...'cause it does (it's Audrey's first solo song for those who know...listen, it really does at first). Then Meagan Bruno, who I love to death but I tell ya, sometimes, pops in and is like "Ozzy Osborne? I love him!" And I'm like "rock on!" 'cause how many chicks do you meet who like Ozzy and I really didn't think she'd be one of them. But then she followed it up with "yeah, I watch that show like all the time," referring of course to MTV's "The Osbornes."

And so I'm like "no, I'm talking about the OLD Ozzy, the one who was with Sabbath," to which she replied with (and I'm getting kinda used to this) a confused look before looking back at her script.

Now...I am not totally against "The Osbornes," but it has kinda turned Ozzy into this funny old man, when he used to be this creepy-as-hell rock n' roll star (some would say rock n' roll god). So yeah...let's all take a second and reflect on the passing of a rock legend into pop culture obscurity.

On that note, start up Kazaa or Limewire or whatever you're downloading music with, and get thee some Sabbath. And not just "Iron Man!" Everyone has "Iron Man." At least get "Paranoid," and if you really want something different, a little "Children of the Grave." Or, hey, "Fairies Wear Boots," because how cool is THAT title?

5 comments:

b said...

He turned himself into a funny old man and caused his status to be diminished by allowing MTV to make his life into that show. Of course the guy's brain is mashed potatoes, so I guess his wife deserves some blame also. I almost can't listen to his music anymore because of that image. Almost.

About the lack of rock n' roll history with kids these days, I can't criticize anybody because one time I asked Rachel who the guy with the guitar was on her religion binder. It was Bob Dylan. But you probably still can Scott, so keep up the good work!

Shakeer said...

Ben I remember that. Whats funny is that after that you were able to succesfully name the people in the other picture: the Counting Crows.

Kids these days.

b said...

I didn't want to do this but you forced my hand Shakeer. Before I Rachel walked over and I asked her who it was, I asked Shakeer, who was sitting with me, if the guy was Bob Dylan. He wasn't sure either.

post script
That would be the world's greatest pickup line at a bar: If you don't go home with me, you're gonna force my hand.

Shakeer said...

Dammit, I think you're right! In our defense, I think it was a picture of Bob Dylan when he was pretty young and thus not as recognizable.

Scott Nye said...

Look, I'll be the first to tell you I'm HORRIBLE at recognizing rock stars. I know, it's hard to image why. Could have something to do with...oh, me liking them for the music. True, I have a poster of The Beatles in my room, but at the same time, I don't really get on anyone's case about not being able to recognize a rock star.

But if you can't recognize some music...then it's just bad. Best moment ever was when Jeff (Nitschke) couldn't recognize the Beach Boys. Good times.