I'm studying history for the AP test and here's a summary of what I have so far.
The US over its history gained a lot of land in North America, which France failed to hold on to.
The US succeeded in bringing a democracy by a revolution, which France failed to do.
The US won this revolution by beating Britain, which France has often failed to do.
The US drove the Germans into Germany, ending the Great War, which, for years, France failed to do.
The US constructed the Panama Canal, which France tried and once again, failed to do.
Once again the US liberated France from Germany.
I'm sure I'm missing more examples, because there are huge gapes between American independence and the beginning of the Twentieth Century, and also between World War II and modern day.
On the other hand, the United States has never been able to invade Canada. And like Mr. Hunnicutt said, "It's not from lack of trying."
My history might be a bit biased. At least I reject that "America as a chosen nation" crap. Chosen to kill all those Native Americans, host slavery for so long, hold on to segregation after that, teach evolution, burden the poor, allow abortions, and host among the higest rates of divorce, drug use, obesity, anorexia, violent crimes, and relativism? Christian nation my donkey! And we're so intolerant of other people's cultures! At least we're not France. :-P
2 comments:
Any nation that produced the Tron guy is the chosen nation in my book.
early in the US's history, some of the settlers and founding fathers has given us quotes about the US being God's country, a Christian nation that will be a beacon of righteousness in an evil world. Ronald Reagan loved those quotes. I think the number of people who call America a Christian nation is now a minority. i listed the reasons why it would be a misnomer, but there's no doubt that America does of course consist of more than its worse qualities.
Post a Comment