Thursday, November 11, 2004

THE DAY IS NIGH!

On November 19th, in the year of our Lord two-thousand and four, it will arrive: THE NEW CENTURY THEATRES AT CEDAR HILLS CROSSING WILL BE COMPLETED!

Now some of you don't know how truly amazing this is. For years, the best theatre in town (for big-budget action movies) has been Century 16. Century 16, however, is pretty close to where I live, and a good forty minutes away from school. Those of you who have been know of the glory: All stadium seating. Comfy chairs. No TV commercials. THX sound. Those of you who have not, I pity you. But now...on November 19th, they will have completed a brand new Century Theatres a mere ten minutes from school.

When Century went in, it was MILES above all other theatres in town. Regal has recently pulled ahead, as they now have some really freaking comfortable chairs. But this new Century? Oh, I can only IMAGINE what we're in store for.

The weekend they open, they're having a grand opening celebration. 50 cent hot dogs. 50 cent drinks. Free video games. Unfortunately, that weekend is the very same in which the Spitfire Grill opens, which many of us are involved in. Fortunately, we were planning on seeing a little movie that Saturday morning, November 20th.

And so I say unto you...join us on November 20th (times TBA, somewhere between 12 and 1 so you can all go to the soccer game) for none other than THE SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS MOVIE!

Ohhhh you can't imagine how much I am looking forward to this. Hopefully you all can make it (even you heathens who don't believe in the power of the sponge).

13 comments:

b said...

No one else is saying anything, so I will. Why would you waste your first visit to that Mecca of moviedom with a Spongebob Squarepants Movie? It is void of redeeming value. And I would be okay with that if it was funny. But its not. We should see Polar Express there first.

post script
I expect controversy here, people. CONTROVERSY!

post post script
You're totally gonna blow your movie reviewer cred here, Scott.
Not to say that you wouldn't be welcome to post them, but the blogging public might view future reviews with suspicion.

Nancy said...

yea, the 3D animation looks amazing, but other than that it looks rather boring.

Scott Nye said...

Wow...such pessimism.

Few things here...

One, SpongeBob rules. I have accepted that there are those who can't fully...appreciate...it's glory, but I think I'm well within my grounds to cheer it on all the way. In my review of it, I'll state right up front that it's not for everybody, because it ain't. I think that's a fair way to start a review. It is, however, for people who get SpongeBob. Me, Pat, Spencer, and Michael Fullman are among those.

Second, we're seeing the movie in the early afternoon, which would in no way conflict with any movie you wanted to see that night (when me, Pat, Spencer, and Michael Fullman are all at tech).

Third, don't see Polar Express without me! I've been looking forward to that for over a year now, but I'm waiting 'til December when it's closer to Christmas. Go see Bridget Jones or something no one really cares about :-D

Ken Colwell said...

I'll do almost anything to get into that theater... read about it in the paper, looks sweet. The problem here is defining "almost anything," though, because forcing myself to watch SpongeBob is on the same level as forcing myself to drown my little sister. (There would probably be a little guilty pleasure but conceptually I would NEVER do it.)

And, Katie, ask Mr. Feebeck: SpongeBob is for potheads too. (And Mr. Feebeck.) The Polar Express has been getting really bad reviews. Isn't anything else interesting in theaters these days?

b said...

No.


post script
Life Aquatic comes to Portland on Christmas. We could wait for that and go the day after X-mas. I know, no cheap food. There's that Neverland movie. Nevermind, I got nothing.

Cynda said...

Sponge Bob!! I can't believe you people would PAY to see that. Although it was a nice tool in distracting Mr. Fe3ebeck and letting us have parties and such...ahh fourth period rocked. Anyway in all other cases the little sponge sucks!!

Anonymous said...

Definitely agree with Cynda. Fourth period rocked. We should all wear the t-shirt one day. Yeah, spongebob. Don't know about that. It might be watchable. The Incredibles is. And Century is going to kick ass.

b said...

National Treasure?

Misha said...

naw, that looks pretty stupid to me
but i'm no movie expert

Nancy said...

National Treasure has a lot of potential to be a good movie, but the fact that Nicolas Cage is the lead guy is...well..a turn off.

Shakeer said...

Ray is supposed to be really good.

Ken Colwell said...

I'd watch National Treasure. Nicholas Cage gets on my nerves sometimes but he earned some major street cred with me in The Rock.

Shakeer, yeah, Ray is supposed to be good, but only because the audience can't tell Jamie Foxx from Ray Charles... problem here being that I know nothing about Ray Charles, and so I wouldn't have known it was just an imitation anyway.

Is National Treasure going to be showing there?

(Scott, by the way, I'm open to your convincing me SpongeBob is worth seeing... Got any arguments for it?)

Scott Nye said...

Okay, I can accept that you don't like SpongeBob. What I can't accept is that National Treasure is somehow a better option. The whole concept is Nic Cage as a TREASURE HUNTER. Or, as he clarifies in the trailer, "We're more like...treasure protectors." Oh, and to make it better, the map's on the back of the Declaration of Independence. Oh, but it's invisible, that's why no one ever saw it. And no one believes him because it sounds insane, except for THAT ONE GUY who could get it before him and God only know what he'll do with the treasure.

Argh.

Arguments FOR SpongeBob? One, it's hilarious. The jokes stem from a ton of visual gags and social humor (it's there, baby), rather than a hundred and one sex jokes (I always appreciate a good sex joke, but half the shows on Comedy Central use the sex joke concept like it's oxygen) or whatever else is on TV these days (besides The Daily Show, SpongeBob is easily the funniest show currently running).

Second argument is animation. Now, if you can't appreciate animation, I can't help you. But judging by how many people went crazy for The Incredibles, this should be a fair argument. SpongeBob harkens back to the days of Looney Tunes, the gold standard for comedy animation. The characters are distinctly designed, yet fit within a concise universe, and in general move in a really tremendous way. There's a wild and immediate aspect of their movement that most cartoons miss these days.

Other than that, it's all taste. Like I've said a million times before and will continue to say a million times henceforth: Unlike most stuff I can recommend, SpongeBob is purely a matter of taste. You like it or you don't. Now, if you haven't actually SEEN an entire episode before, I don't wanna hear it. But if you have and you don't like it, that's fine, what can be done?

But yeah...come November 20th, I'll be sitting down for a nice helping of The SpongeBob Squarepants Movie (which should've gotten a better title).