Thursday, November 11, 2004

The Morning After

I have been deflowered by Death Cab, and I am absolutely exhausted.

Alright, in keeping with the concert virgin theme, this would then be the morning after.

Yesterday was truly a day of firsts. After Ken picked me up wet and tired and smelling like chlorine (mmm), we went to meet Nancy, Mike, Lara, Eleanor, and Sam at Chang's. I had never been to a Mongolian Grill thingy, and was a little grossed out by the raw meet, and a little concerned when told that they charge you 5 cents per noodle, but luckily, they changed the pricing system just for me. Then Rachel showed up with Misha and Cynda in tow, and all was right with the world.

We then got to the concert at the perfect time because we didn't have to sit through the whole opening act, Pretty Girls Make Graves. While I like the title of the band, they were kind of a punkier, less creative No Doubt, and it got tiresome.

This being my first concert, and I therefore have nothing to compare it to, I personally thought Death Cab was amazing...I will admit that the only song I can name is Passenger Seat, and there are a few others that I have heard but couldn't name, but I still really liked the music and thought they were really good live.
And even though I couldn't see that much, I could see the lead singer, and he was cool. My back started to hurt from standing, but other than that, nothing to complain about. I saw some people from my old school, and somebody actually recognized me and said "hi", which never happens because I look nothing like I did in Junior High (read: I was really short.)

And I stayed awake through the whole thing without any caffiene!

So.

Oh, and I got a shirt. And any opportunity to get a shirt is a great time by me.

So thanks for a fun dinner and a fun concert everybody, especially Ken who puts up pretty well with having to chauffer me around everywhere due to lack of license. Man, I need a nap.
~KT BZ

10 comments:

Nancy said...

Besides the fact that the opening band sounded like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and the lead singer looked like Ashlee Simpson, I didn't think they were too bad.

I was the other one that was deflowered. When Death cab finally came on, everyone pushed forward like a foot which was an experience in itself, though the best view was still from the very back. My legs started cramping which kind of sucked, but otherwise it was pretty good. I really liked the second song, (and I finally figured out the name) Movie Script Ending. Oh and at the very end they played Sound of Settling which made my day.

PS Misha and I agree that the blonde haired guitarist is really hot.

Shakeer said...

Do any of you guys who went know if they played This Charming Man? Or did they cover anything else?

Nancy said...

hmmm I don't remember if they played This Charming Man. I think they played a lot from their Transantlanticism CD...the only ones I'm sure of are The New Year, Title and Registration, Lack of Color, Expo '86, and The Sound of Settling. They might have played Company Calls too. :/

Cynda said...

Well despite not wanting to go, I went to the concert and am sad to say that once again Ken was right and I did have a good time. If any has any idea why he is right so freakishly often I loved to know, anyway I digress. I really enjoyed the music and all though the crowd and the CLOSENESS of everyone else started to get on my nerves I still had fun. Oh and I got chewed out by my psuedo mom, Mrs. Redyk for being home too late and for Misha leaving the door unlocked...hmmm anyway it was a fun night and dammit that means once again I have to help inflate Ken's already to large of an ego!! :)

Ken Colwell said...

Yeah, there's really no way around the fact that this concert kicked major tail. Actually, after a little debate, I decided that I, too, was a concert virgin before this--my only previous attempt was the DCfC concert in May, where I subjected myself (and Mike, and Jen) to some musical groping by The Thermals and some enjoyable foreplay by Ben Kweller, but no actual... concert. I'm glad this was it. Only flaw was that I didn't get to hear Sound of Settling because some of us live in Lake Oswego... yeah, what can you do. It was definitely worth bringing some of us along, even if I screwed up as chaffeur many times, in many ways.

I thought Ben Gibbard was hilarious though when he played... he dances back and forth like he's marching in place for pretty much every song. Nancy, you're right, they did a great job with A Movie Script Ending. And with Expo '86 and with Title and Registration and with Why You'd Want to Live Here and with Title Track, although some of them sound better after production. Have to admit that this is the geekiest sort of pleasure I've ever had--definitely proved that since last January when I discovered them I've listened to their songs WAY too many times.

Good light work too. And sorry, Cynda, but I'm Jesus, remember? And Jesus KNOWS.

Misha said...

Cynda? Do my ears deceive me? Rather my eyes...I'd like a little credit here. I'd like to think that I had a hand in getting you to go in the first place. I suppose I am invisible...nobody loves me. sigh

Ken Colwell said...

The idea here is not that I *made* Cynda go, rather that I told her she had to... here's the catch... because, contrary to her opinion, it would be fun. I was right. 'Nuff said.

But if you're really that desperate, I officially give you all the credit.

Cynda said...

Misha of course you had something to do with me going the point was however that Ken is always right even when he should be wrong something weird happens and he ends up being right and I'm always wrong. It's just freakish and unexplainable...well I guess if he's Jesus that may explain it....

Cynda said...

Oh and Misha you should be proud at least your first concert wasn't the Backstreet Boys!!

Misha said...

oh i am