Friday, March 25, 2005

The Quest for March Madness Part I

Wednesday: I leave at 8:30 for the hospital to be tested for a genetic mutation before we leave. That goes relatively smoothly, though it was kind of strange seeing your blood put in a metal tube labeled "genetic biohazard." We can't fly straight to Albuquerque so we have to catch another flight in Salt Lake City. After being delayed for over two hours in SLC, I made it down to Albuquerque at 8 PM and promptly search for dinner. As it turns out, there are about 25 McDonald's within a 2 mile radius of my hotel. Almost nothing besides fast food and casinos anywhere. I finally find a place to eat and then head to the hotel to get some sleep.

Thursday: The games don't start until about 5, so I drive over to Santa Fe to find something to do. Absolutely nothing. So far I'm really having no luck. Anyway, I head back to Albuquerque for the games. The games are being held in The Pit(University of New Mexico). Those New Mexicans sure can build themselves a stadium.
First Game: 1 Washington vs. 4 Louisville
Unlike anything I have ever experienced. It's fun to watch on T.V. but it's 100 times better in person. Washington builds an early lead but Garcia starts lighting it up from beyond the arc(he hit 5 threes, scored 23 points). Louisville cruises to the upset win.
Second Game: 6 Texas Tech vs. 7 West Virginia
This game was even better than the first, especially since I was sitting right in the middle of the Texas Tech fan section. It was an awesome game, as well. Texas Tech kept it close the entire game, and with a couple minutes to go Texas Tech is down four. They force two shot clock violations in a row, but score on only one. They then force a steal and get miss about 5-6 shots that would have tied it up. West Virginia pulls out another upset.

As soon as the game ends I have to leave because it's an 800+ mile drive to Austin(about 14 hours). I got about 2 hours of sleep. But it's more than worth it because as I write this, I'm preparing for two more games at the Frank Erwin Center at UT.

More details to follow.

PS: I really dislike Barry Bonds

PPS: Ozzy Osbourne is now a Naked Crimefighter

1 comment:

b said...

Color me green (with envy).