(This title is applicable for two reasons:
1. I've been listening to that song lately, and I really like it.
2. I can now buy cigarettes, and I love chocolate milk.)
So, yesterday I became an adult. No more child's play for me, I magically matured the instant I turned exactly 18 years old.
Thanks to all of you who texted/IMed/called/wrote on my facebook wall/sent me a facebook message/sent a card for my birthday...it was seriously overwhelming, and so nice to know that you were thinking of me. One of the best parts of facebook is that it lists birthdays, so I got upwards of 30 e-mails from facebook with "blahdy mcblahblah has written on your wall" which was ridiculous, but really nice...and I got random "Happy Birthday!"s from people I hadn't talked to since elementary school, so that was cool too.
So on to how it all went. First, I was watching Boondock Saints in this one guy's room on my birthday eve with a bunch of people, and fell asleep, then randomly woke up at 11:40. I remembered that I had morning practice the next morning, so I said "I'm going to bed." They proceeded to wait until midnight, then come down and wish me happy birthday on the first minute of my birthday...except I was asleep, and I always put my phone on silent when I go to bed. I've also learned that I sleep through everything, so I didn't hear them knocking either. They left me rather frustrated voice mails for me to wake up to, let me tell you.
I woke up at 5:45 for my first birthday swim practice of the day, then took a crazy fast shower, grabbed a muffin and speed walked (I refuse to run for busses or classes. Just part of who I am.) to my first birthday class, Gender and Sexuality in Christian Tradition, where the only reason I was awake was...hm, I'm not really sure how I stayed awake. Meh. I then had Traditions in Documentary Studies, and to celebrate my birthday, I did not go. I told Alex, this junior on the swim team, that I wasn't going, and he agreed to check my name off on the attendance list, and so I will do the same for him one day. So instead of going to class, I opened the presents my family had sent me. Much better.
I had lunch with Liqiao from next door, then went and grabbed Becky and Nick to take them to Ben & Jerry's to celebrate my birthday. Nick paid for me as a birthday present. Awesome.
Then I had Birthday Practice #2, which of course had to be a Lifting day, with our crazy she-man trainer KB. She's really nice, but she's slowly killing all of us and making us ridiculously sore.
I officially turned 18, to the minute, while I was doing wall sits.
Then my roommates and I grabbed dinner and went back to our room to get dressed for my "birthday surprise", which I was a little worried about, until I was reassured that it wasn't "Surprise! We're getting you drunk and taking you to a frat party!"
They took me to a Sister Hazel Concert.
I love them.
It was amazing.
We got back to the room at 1:00, then decided to eat cake, because we hadn't yet. Liqiao, Nick, and Becky had stayed up to wait for us (and for cake), so they had some too.
We went to bed at 2:30.
We woke up at 5:45 for morning practice this morning, and swam 4 miles, and now I'm back.
And now I get to learn 50 latin words by 3:00 class because I didn't do work yesterday. On 3 hours of sleep.
I FEEL SO HARD CORE.
I just wanted to share my birthday with you, because you all would have been a part of it if you were here with me. And all the messages and such made me feel very special and very loved, so thank you.
p.s. sorry that was so long. i actually have another story that some of you might have heard from me already, the swim team scavenger hunt initiation task story, but i might have to save that for another post. just don't let me forget.
p.p.s. pictures:
2 comments:
Katie you are a pimp.
i miss you ktbz
i believe your letter has come in the mail today. i'm quite excited to go see. i fucking miss you kid
love. kthm
Post a Comment