So....Catholicism. This is an incredibly hardcore conservative campus, in case the name "Catholic University" didn't give it away. Hardcore Catholics, too. One guy in my dorm only goes to Latin Mass, and believes that Vatican II was evil. So far, we have avoided political confrontation (not that I am needing to confront anybody, I'm a moderate, which means here "I will not back you up if you start arguing with people about politics". But it's cool to get a new perspective on the Catholic faith, and it's cool that people are wililng to talk about it just for talking about it.
It's only been a week, but it feels like a much longer time. It's really bizarre. I'm in Regan, which is the honors housing, and it is full of dorks. I love dorks. I AM a dork. This makes for a very good time, and this is a tame dorm. There are some rowdy people, but they don't really bother us much. Well, there was this one time, but it didn't happen to me, and it's not my story to tell.
My classes are pretty cool. I wish I could actually get my brain into "study" mode, though, because when I try to read things now, the characters and words don't register in my brain. It's like I'm trying to read in a foreign language. It's odd, and frustrating. But I'm taking the honors philosophy and humanities (history) courses, general psych, probability and statistics (SO not calculus...it's disappointing), and Spanish Conversation and Composition (it's like English back in 9th grade...except minus novels (so far) and with a lot more emphasis on how to write conversations). This is where I become a nerd, because I'm into this, so be warned. I walk into the class a little bit late on Monday (it was the first day, I was lost), and Professor Gomez is speaking in fluent Spanish. Really fast. And, unlike normal, where I am busy trying to discover words in his speech like "tarea" or "trabajo", I'm just listening. It was bizarre, but I take it as a good sign. In case you couldn't tell, it's my favorite class.
I wish I had more to say, but...well, I don't. Our football team kind of sucks. A lot. But I still like it here.
2 comments:
Dude, Mike, once you get your bearings, you need to politely question these people and find out where they're coming from. As much for their benefit as your own. You don't hafta attempt to tear their belief system down. Last night I was debating for almost an hour against two upperclassman. (I always forget to use so many ideas that I only remember a few hours later in bed.) Of course, it quickly spiraled into an Oregon vs. Arkansas battle of state worth. While Iraq lay forgotten, at one point I responded to an indisputable point he made with "Well, kill some more black people why don't ya?" This was soon followed by another question, on the average number of teeth per person, to which he answered, in a Southern accent that made it all the funnier, "Natural?" I forgot how fun it is to talk to people.
I'm glad you like it there. Although I'm also extremely jealous of you for getting to take Spanish... As much as I want to, I don't think I'll get to take any languages... :( But I'm going to be studying on my own time, though, so we'll have to converse sometime.
Oh, and ditto here on the whole "can't study because I suddenly forgot the english language" thing. Does everyone else have an insane homework load?
Post a Comment